The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Building a PC/EFI-X Machine

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mgersten
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2405 times

mgersten

I am building a EFI-X PC. It will allow me to run Vista and OS X legally. I have posted the parts list as a wishlist here: Parts List Let me know what you think. The HCL for EFI-X can be found here: HCL

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am very unimpressed with my Q6600. You might do better with a fast (e.g. 3.2GHz) duo processor. At the end of the day, the Q6600 is only a 2.4GHz processor. The 4 cores are rarely active all together. The only time I saw that was with video editing.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Mgersten, how is this setup running OSX "legally" instead of being just another Hackintosh? If you post a link, I can go read about it.

As for the Q6600, a quad-core is not optimal for every type of user. However, with the EPP Patriot memory, I'm guessing you intend to overclock that puppy? The Q6600 will do 3.0 GHz easy on air cooling. With good air cooling, it can do 3.3 GHz. 3.6 Ghz is pushing it, with air, but it can be done.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

It's still a Hackintosh, the EFI is just a USB dongle that does the patching on a system to allow the install of OS-X on a non-Apple PC.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Chris,

Thanks for clarification !!!!
Was wondering what OP was posting about.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

mgersten

Information for the EFI-X can be found at efi-x.com. I have changed my setup. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome, but please be nice about it.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If you plan to overclock, you will want to use something other than the stock heatsink/fan that comes with the CPU, you'll probably also want a better (and bigger) power supply. As a side note, for $3-$4 more the ASUS DRW-2014L1T will get you the lightscribe feature as well. It's a nice little feature to have if you do any CD/DVD burning.

Posted 5 years ago

mgersten

I do not plan to overclock, because I do not want to take that risk with this machine. Thanks for the DVD Burner tip. Also, will I need any cables not included with the Retail and/or OEM packages, such as SATA cables, power supplies for DVD Burner, etc.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I got a Gigabyte board earlier this year, I <i>think</i> it came with four SATA cables. The DVD drive just uses one of the standard drive connectors, so you should be all set there.

Posted 5 years ago

mgersten

The DVD drive you linked is SATA, which is good, because EFIX only supports SATA. If the drive you linked is not SATA, please let me know. I require an SATA drive.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

In case the be nice comment was directed at me, let me explain. There have been some interesting discussions on this forum recently about running OSX on Wintel hardware. As a new member, it must have seemed a bit intense. It was not a loaded question -- I really would like to know the answer on the legality of this procedure. I'm an engineer, not a lawyer, so I don't know the answer. If it came across poorly, I apologize.

As for the parts list, it still seems to be in a state of flux. I saw some 4GB DIMMs appear, but now they're gone.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

They have both SATA and IDE flavors for that drive, pretty sure I sent you the SATA one.

@ScottW,
Technically, he would be violating the EULA, on his own stuff and not redistributing, so there would be no criminal liability, but he could be taken to civil court for essentially a breech of contract which means that Apple could get compensation and damages awarded to them.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Budo, you should have been a part of the recent discussion that I was referring to:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....e-computer

Posted 5 years ago

mgersten

ScottW,

I was changing the parts list, but it is finished now. Please let me know what you think.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

@Scott, I think that one was an international discussion, and local laws would override US ones in that respect.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@Mgersten, I see no problems on the parts list. It's all pretty standard and with no overclocking there are no issues there. It looks like you settled on 4 x 2GB DIMMs which means 8GB memory, total. You mentioned Vista, so I expect that you know you will need 64-bit Vista to take advantage of all of that memory. I see that OSX Leopard is 64-bit ready.

@Budo, sounds like someone knows a little law.... Maybe we could revive that old thread because I still have questions.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!