How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building A PC From Scratch

(33 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by lancex95
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 2261 times

madmacs
madmacs

In order to get the most out of your M/B and CPU you need to stay in Triple Memory, meaning 3,6,9,or even 12GB´s of RAM. Using 4 GB´s (although possible) would not be the best of options for an i7 system. Have a read of the links posted in this thread for more information on how i7 works. There are links to CPU, DDR3 and M/B´s there.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

ahh i see, then yeah ill definately stick with the 3gigs for now, in the future maybe ill double it though. unless i find some cheaper 6gig.

Thanks for the help Matt! You gave me some big time help towards buiding my first PC!

Final Build:

Tower: Antec 900 @ $109.99
CPU: Core i7 920 @ $294.99
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe @ $299.99
Video Card: EVGA 260 Core 216 overclocked @ $279.99
PSU: Tuniq Potency 750W, SLI Ready, 80 plus certifed @ $118.99
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) @ $119.00
HD: WD Caviar 250GB SATA @ $49.99
DVD Burner: LG GH22NS30 22x SATA @ $24.99
DVD Drive (OPTIONAL): Asus DVD-E818A3T 18x SATA @ $19.99

FINAL PRICE (SHIPPING + TAX Not Included): $1317.92

Nice pricing, i included that optional drive, and thats all without shipping or a mointor!

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

Now the question is: Vista or XP? xD

My Compaq Presario F761US (Laptop) Runs Windows Vista Home Premium OEM.

My current PC runs Windows XP Professional SP2

i can easily get either OS, but which should i use really? xD ive grown somewhat fond of vista really but idk i need opinion

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Vista and later Windows 7

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

alright, now i have 2 questions for you.

1: WHAT THE **** IS WINDOWS 7? Ive been seeing posts about it all over these forums but idk what it is xD

2: Do you know anything about Macs? i have this old IMac i got running, and i think i should install a dif OS on it to try to make it worth using somehow, its Current OS is Mac OS 9, and its got 512MB of RAM

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Windows 7 is the latest O/S from Microsoft, out in a beta form for testing purposes. Sorry I haven´t got a clue when it comes to Macs!! Try posting the question you have in Apple forum here.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

ahh ok i see

and yeah i know how u feel with the macs, more complicated then they need to be imo o-O i did post the Q but its still got no posts soo its fine

thanks a ton for the help! ill save all of those links so i know them!

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

one last question, would it be wise if i dual booted Windows XP Professional and Windows Vista Ultimate? Cause some games id like to play work only/better on XP than vista, vice versa. im only considering it atm but still

Posted 5 years ago

SSSammy

hey lancerx95
been following this post, was going to jump in and give my 2 cents but madmacs has taken all the words out of my mouth ... or fingers, as it were

my advice, dont get vista ultimate, stick with vista home premium, should save you $100 or so, which you could use to buy better ram (ie this one) make sure you're buying the vista 64 bit version.

and when buying from newegg, be sure to check out the combo deals, parts you choose just may be combined with another in which case you save more money, like this

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

cool

and why 64 bit btw? my laptop has been usin 32 atm.

i have copies of all vista upgrades sooo....

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi lancex95, 32 bit will only address 3.2 GB´s MAXIMUM. In my my case, before getting 64 bit, it was only 2.8 GB´s due to having two video cards in SLI!! SSSammy was correct in telling you to look for deals at newegg and also pointed you out for cheaper RAM. I don´t want to disagree with him but the models I posted use faster bandwidth (better for i7), thus more expensive!! I also agree with with him looking for better deals, but I´m sure (not certain) if you contact customer support and tell them everything you want to buy that they will give you a deal!! Here in Germany, if I was buying a big setup, I could probably save between 10-15%. BE HARD, or let your Dad do the telephoning!!

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

Sadly (and i know you meant nothing by it since you wouldnt have know) my dad has already passed away about almost 2 years ago. thats why im the one mainting all of our pcs (very well actually) i just decided to upgrade mine tho. ill prolly have to raise the money myself, but i may try to get my mom to help pay for it all too.

Ill definately call Newegg though to see if i can get a deal on a huge order like tat

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

I´m so sorry to hear that!!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!