The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building A PC From Scratch

(33 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by lancex95
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 2261 times

lancex95

Ok so i finally decided im definately going to be building a PC from scratch. But i need to know exactly what parts i need to get

What i KNOW i need;

Hard Drive
Monitor
Tower
Motherboard
Case Fans
PCU
PCU Cooler
RAM
Graphics Cards
CD/DVD Drives
Power Source Unit
Wireless Card (Im considering this, im not completely sure about it just yet since my PC is right next to the router so its not far and not completely necessary)

Am i leaving anything out besides these?

Also i am going to be building a pc based for gaming, though multi tasked to be able to be used for work, video editing, etc sorta. but thats not to important. basically ill probably need help choosing parts that are good/high end but cheap at the same time. especially with PCU and PCU cooler and case fans

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

lancex95,
"choosing parts that are good/high end but cheap at the same time."
Unquote.
The Build is for YOU, not us.
Please be more specific as to your total budget.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

budget is really not a problem, thats why i didnt include it. but if you must have something for you to base it on, id like it to be at least $1,500 or less, but it can go slightly over if necessary.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

lancex95,
I'll just suggest this Motherboard and let other members give their favorite choices also.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813131346

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

Parts im looking at so far:

Graphics Card:

EVGA 512-P3-N971-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814130397

Hard Drive:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6822136039

RAM (Memory):

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6820148160

Monitor:

HP w2207h Black 22" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor DC 3000:1(2000:1) - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6824176091

Power Source

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817153052

as for motherboard, idk i need recommendatinos. also CPU and CPU Cooler and case and case fans, i need help on (srry for spelling mistake with CPU)

but how are these parts so far?

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

Could somebody please recommend me a motherboard (the one above seems good, a bit expensive but pretty good either way which should be perfect i hope) but others could help, a CPU, a CPU cooling fan, case fans, and a case please? these are the last things i need to find

also are the parts ive chosen already good too btw? i want to make sure im choosing quality products

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi lancex95, I would suggest building (although slightly more expensive) an i7 system. Here´s what I would put together:

Tower: Antec 900 @ $109.99
CPU: Core i7 920 @ $294.99
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe @ $299.99
Video Card: EVGA 260 Core 216 overclocked @ $279.99
PSU: Tuniq Potency 750W, SLI Ready, 80 plus certifed @ $118.99
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel PC 12800 @ $229.99
HD: 2x WD Caviar 500GB SATA @ $119.98
DVD Burner: LG GH22NS30 22x SATA @ $24.99
DVD Drive (optional): Asus DVD-E818A3T 18x SATA @ $19.99
CPU Heatsink (optional): Vigor Monsoon III Dual 120mm Fans @ $59.99
Monitor: Viewsonic vx2233wn 21´5" Full HD @ $179.99

If you decide to buy everything it would cost $1738.88 or $1658.90 without the second DVD drive and heatsink. Also I´m sure that if you ordered everything together you could try and get it cheaper from newegg!! This setup is certainly one that I would call "future-proof", at least for a year or two, as it is with building computers!! Matt

PS: Have a look here for wireless adaptors.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

as good as that setup is. its just a bit too expensive. Are the parts i showed good? cause then i can make changes to it here and there to create a cheaper one by swapping out parts you found for a few of mine. like the RAM for example. 6gb i dont really need if a pc can actually use that much, the 4gb is perfectly fine for me really.

the video card, i considered a really high end one like that but then i found those cheaper 9800gts sli ones. i figure if i get one like that, i can always buy a second one and use em both with the SLI feature.

frankly, my current PC setup ive had for about 8-10 years. the most new things in it are the NVidia GEFORE FX5500 graphics card and 2gb of ram.

but yeah are the parts i picked out any good? if they are really good in some way, i can make changes to what youve shown me so far

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@lancex95, I´m a little confused as you stated earlier that money wasn´t a problem!! Which is why I listed a (fairly) cheap gaming i7 setup.

I linked to the 6GB´s of RAM because both Motherboard (M/B) and CPU support Triple Channel memory. 4 GB´s is more than enough if you going to use a Core2Duo or a QuadCore processor, although DDR2 PC 6400 (800Mhz) is fairly slow for todays standards, it all depends on what M/B you are wanting to buy.

The EVGA 9800GT is not a bad graphics card, it is based on the 8800 chip, just has a new name and is slightly overclocked. As for SLI ready, it would mean buying an exact same card again, doubling the price and making it (give or take a few dollars) the same price as the 260 Core 216. The latter can also be used for a SLI setup (when money is available!!)

The PSU you linked to is only 500W, this will not be enough power to use SLI later. When looking for a PSU look for a SLI/80plus certified one. SLI certified meaning you can add two video cards on the 12v rails and 80plus certified meaning it has better power management, drawing the power only when needed. (Saves money on the bills!!)

I would still recommend the i7 setup, if it is too expensive then tell me what your exact budget would be and I´ll post back

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

all points you make are good, ill see what an exact budget would be. most likely i will see if i can get my mom to help pay for some of the things, but theres also somebody my dad used to help alot that i can probably get alot of these parts cheaper from him hopefully.

also even with that setup, dont i still need the CPU cooler and case fans? or they are all included?

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

If you aren´t going to overclock then you wouldn´t necessarily need a CPU cooler (just buy a boxed cpu, that include stock coolers), but I did provide a link to the Vigor Monsoon III (CPU Heatsink). The Antec 900 comes with case fans included (3x 120 mm and one 200mm)

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

i could also temporarily eliminate the monitor, since i already have plenty of spare flatscreens in my house (im at school atm so i will provide more detail later). so it can be purchased later

sa for DVD burner and DVD Drive, those are optional. i can probably salvage the 2 i have from my old tower (again pics/specs later) to save a few more bucks

the HD 500gb would be nice, but i can probably live with less. 250 is decent, but 120 is like a minimum cause thats what my laptop uses and i kinda need some space

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

heres those pics of my monitor, and my DVD burners from the outside and a pic of the inside of my whole PC

could these drives be salvageable? i mean they work fine and all, they are still good drives.

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

ok matt im definately looking at your build though, and im trying to eliminate some thigns and cut the price down a good amount too cause im trying to get close to a grand as i can if i can

Tower: Antec 900 @ $109.99
CPU: Core i7 920 @ $294.99
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe @ $299.99
Video Card: EVGA 260 Core 216 overclocked @ $279.99
PSU: Tuniq Potency 750W, SLI Ready, 80 plus certifed @ $118.99
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel PC 12800 @ $229.99

-----------------------------------

HD: 2x WD Caviar 500GB SATA @ $119.98 (WILL FIND A 250GB OR EVEN A 120GB, DONT NEED SO MUCH SPACE REALLY, I HAVE 2 250GB EXTERNAL HDS SOOO)
DVD Burner: LG GH22NS30 22x SATA @ $24.99 (SALVAGE MINE)
DVD Drive (optional): Asus DVD-E818A3T 18x SATA @ $19.99 (SALVAGE MINE)
CPU Heatsink (optional): Vigor Monsoon III Dual 120mm Fans @ $59.99 (WITH SO MANY FANS IN CASE, I PROBABLY DONT NEED THIS)
Monitor: Viewsonic vx2233wn 21´5" Full HD @ $179.99 (ELIMINATE, BUY IN FUTURE)

So far eliminating that stuff (HD price not included yet) ive dropped your initial price from 1.7k-1.8k to $1333.94

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

lancex95, unfortuantly I can´t tell what DVD drives or monitor you have by just looking at the pics ;) Although the top one looks like a LG CD Drive!! They are almost certainly IDE and not SATA drives though. I would still recommend the LG I mentioned, at $24.99 it´s not going to break the bank!! You could also save money on the RAM and get some smaller Triple Channel Memory sticks like these. That would save you another $100!! Make sure you purchase at least one SATA HD, size doesn´t matter, but putting an IDE HD in an i7 gaming system would be like putting a Mini engine in a Ferrari chassis!!

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

hehe yeah the top one is an LG so ill grab the SATA u showed me

also ill look for a 250gb or even a 120gb SATA HD tho, but if u can find me one thatd be awesome too!

120gb is a minimum, 250gb is a bit preferred if its cheap

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

WD Caviar 250GB SATA @ $49.99

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

idk reading the reviews i see alot of ppl saying it failed =p

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

65% of people gave it 5 eggs!! There are always whingers out there as well as problems sometimes occuring during fabrication. I couldn´t give you a 100% tip because there´s no such thing!! Matt

Posted 5 years ago

lancex95

hehe ok ill trust your word then bro.

so my final problems are Monitor and RAM.

both you showed me are good, the 6gigs actually would be insanely good for me to use, but sadly just a bit high in price.

is it possible to find a cheap at least maybe 4gb? if not thats perfectly find with the 3gb.

and monitor, ill probably search for a good one, size about the same just a bit cheaper, and hell if it has an HDMI Port on it too thatd be awesome, i can use my PS3 on it then xD

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.