How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

building a new pc, hit a snag with software

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by jeffakron
  • Latest reply from jeffakron
  • Topic Viewed 543 times

jeffakron

hi,
I bought a barebones kit and managed to assemble it fine. However, when I started installing software, I made a mistake. I have windows 95, and a XP upgrade disk. As you can guess, I put in the XP disk, and now I can't get it to boot from the 95 disk. Any ideas? Anyway I can go from BIOS screen to format C and start over?

ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated. Kids are being patient, but I am not too happy with this useless x-mas gift.

Jeff

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

jeffakron, Hi.

'I bought a barebones kit and managed to assemble it fine. However, when I started installing software, I made a mistake. I have windows 95, and a XP upgrade disk. As you can guess, I put in the XP disk, and now I can't get it to boot from the 95 disk. Any ideas? Anyway I can go from BIOS screen to format C and start over?'

How does win 95 and xp upgrade come into this equation?

Perhaps you could list the barebones build for the forum to understand.

Posted 1 year ago

jeffakron

Hi vistamike,
I bought a kit from Tiger direct. It is not listed on their site anymore (it was a black Friday sale) but here is a very similar one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....;CatId=332

Kit included hard drive, memory, processor, motherboard, power supply and video card all with a case. I assembled, powered it on, and formatted the new drive as per directions. I was next going to install an OS, and I have an XP disk, so slid that in there in my haste. What I forgot is that disk was an upgrade disk not the full install. It took it and loaded much of windows, then crashed. Now I am stuck. I can't get 95 or 2000 in there, because they won't boot from dvd drive (?) and it goes to XP start up, then crashes.

I am looking for a way to format the hard drive so i can start over. . . thinking of installing it in my pc that I am on now...as I can't seem to do much of anything from the bios menu.

Any advice?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!