The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building a new computer... BUT---!

(24 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Fhangrin
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2955 times

Fhangrin

And with RAID-10 you need 4 HD's, I'm assuming with the same issue?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Good Afternoon All,

RAID 0 (Striping), Performance=Highest, Capacity=NO of HDs X Smallest Size HD, Number of HDs=(2)to(4), Redundancy=(None).

Raid 1 (Mirroring), Performance=Normal, Capacity=Smallest Size HD, Number of HDs=(2), Redundancy=(2) HDs, must fail mode.

Raid 0+1 (10) (Stripe/Mirror), Performance=High, Capacity=(2) X Smallest Size HD, Number of HDs=(4), Redundancy=(2) out of (6) possible HD (configuration) failure modes.

Raid 5 (Stripe/Mirror with Parity), Performance=Slower than Normal, Specs same as Raid 0+1 (10), Redundancy=(2) out of (6) possible HD (configuration) failure modes.

JBOD (Spanning), Performance=Normal, Capacity=100% of all HDs, Number of HDs=(2)to(4), Redundancy=(Any) HD failure effects entire array but some data may be recoverable ??

IMPORTANT NOTE: HDs USED in RAID ARRAY should have SAME Buffer Capacity, SAME RPM Speed, SAME Data Through Put, SAME Manufacturer. DO (NOT) mix Generation Sata I and Generation Sata II HDs.

BEST RAID CONFIGURATION IS TO USE (IDENTICAL) HARD DRIVES IN (ALL) CASES !!

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

That is correct, I actually have a RAID 10 set-up with 4 250's for a total of 500. Technically, 4 HDD's is the minimum number of drives for a RAID 10, but it must always be an even number of drives. Most on-board controllers will support a 6 drive RAID 10.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Budohorseman,

You are correct also. I just wrote the post trying to make it (simple) as most MBs which members purchase have only (4) sata connectors unless one gets into the Really Expensive MBs and Stuff. If you know where we can some inexpensive "blades" let me know (LOL) (LOL) !! The really frustrating questions come from members who have a proprietary laptop with only (1) HD and no utilities or knowledge of their machine. The members who build their own Multi-HD Towers, Servers, etc. really never have any problems.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!