The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building a new computer... BUT---!

(24 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Fhangrin
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2955 times

Fhangrin

I'm building a new computer, doing a partial transfer from my Dell 531s: Hard Drive with old files, 2 gig RAM (Corsair no heat sink i believe), and my processor (AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000 2.1ghz. The new parts I'm getting are:
Xclio Wind Tunnel full tower case,
MSI K9N SLI-F V.2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570LT ATX AMD Motherboard,
dual MSI N9600GT 512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready running in SLI,
hec ACE580 580W ATX12V Power Supply,
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler to up the heat sink on my processor
2 VANTEC ICEBERG DDR-A1C Heatsinks for my RAM
2 VANTEC CCB-A4P Ball "IceBerq 4 Pro" All-In-One VGA Cooling Kit for my video cards
and 2 tubes of OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound to place all the heat sinks
Does ANYONE know if this setup is possible? I'll be downgrading the OS from Windows Vista down to XP SP3

Posted 6 years ago

drmsucks

If I read correctly, you want to use your old HD in the new build - it won't work as a boot drive.

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

It seemed to be more cost effective to me than buying another 240 gig HD. I've also got a CD-RW and a DVD-RW combo drive to put in the tower.

---edit---
It still has my windows Vista OS, and whatnot, I thought I could install the drivers for the new parts on this HD and then transfer the HD into the new system with the drivers pre-loaded. I can't get all the parts at once, so that was why. Would I be better off spending the extra 200 on the new OS and HD right away?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Since you plan on doing some hard core overclocking on this rig, you should just get some better RAM. Just sticking some heatsinks on them will not get you the voltage range you will be needing to hit the more aggressive timings.

May I ask why to plan to rip your graphics cards apart to change the cooling system on them?

Also, don't skimp on the power supply, I highly recommend this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817371009

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

If the stock cooling doesn't keep the cards as cool as possible, then that's why I planned on the extra cooling. As far as overclocking, the most I plan to OC is the CPU and the graphics. My logic with the cooling components is that the better I can cool my system, the more stable overall it should be with adequate power. Granted, this is my first build, soooo... my knowledge is limited.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

if you really want to keep you system really cool you should try out water cooling i've hear that it really helps a lot and there is no noise from fans :)

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

I got the full sized tower because when I can afford watercooling. I plan to go with Koolance when I can afford it.I'm going with what's cost effective. The overall cost of my upgrade is $500 without the new OS. watercooling to cool my entire rig, would cost me another $500

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i think that it would be more around the 300 range but i know what you are saying

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

I don't think watercooling would be too terribly much more of a benefit with the pair of 250mm fans on the side, exhaust fan, intake fan. So long as those fans stay stable as well with my CPU heat sink. But again... Little to no experience with building FULL PC's pretty much from scrap.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i added fans to mine too but it didn't really do much so i ended up taking mine out and now i get the same temps with half the noise.

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

I know that this machine is gonna be a beast for noise. I usually have my music/games/movies up pretty loud anyway. And I love pretty pretty lights.

New question. If I get a second hard drive, can I keep the stuff that's installed on the first one and set the second one up for extra memory without a RAID setup?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yes but it acts as another hard drive and not as one big drive like the raid would do.

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

I thought RAID wrote to both drives at the same time. How do you configure RAID?

---EDIT---
What RAID setup is that as well

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm not sure how raid works exactly but ya i think that you are right. i have never had to set one up before so i don't know too much about it.

Posted 6 years ago

JKay

Anything you need to know about raid is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.....dent_disks the pictures on there make it really understand all the different kinds of RAID settings and how to make it work to your likeing

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Typical RAID's are 1, 0, and 10, a RAID 0 (striped) improves performance by writing/reading to both drives, thereby doubling the performance over a single drive (in theory at least). This configuration also increases the storage size (2 * 250 would give you 500 of storage). A RAID 1 (mirrored) provides redundancy by making a copy of one drive to the other simultaneously. This configuration gives you only half the storage space (2 * 250 would give you 250 of storage). The RAID 10 is both of the above so it is both mirrored and striped giving you the performance benefits of the stripe along with the security of the mirror. The storage for this would be 4 * 250 giving you 500 of storage.

The danger of a RAID 0 is that if one drive fails, you basically lose all data on both drives.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

And there I was thinking that the idea of Raid in the first place, was that if one drive failed, the other would keep your data secure!

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

In any configuration other than 0, that's just for the performance speed freaks who don't mind the 0% chance of data recovery in the event of disk failure. ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

Fhangrin

do both HDs need to be identical in storage like video cards with SLI for RAID-1?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Well, technically no, but you will only be able to use the amount of space equal to the smallest drive, so you may as well make them match. So if you had a 400 and 500 set up as a RAID 1, you would have a total storage of 400 (or 800 total storage if set up as a RAID 0).

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.