The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Building a Computer

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by StutzWire
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1107 times

StutzWire

I'm going to be building a new computer soon and was looking for some input into my components. It will be for CAD/CAM mainly so more of a workstation than gaming.

Heres what I was thinking about using:

Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
2 - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Everything is from newegg.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Especially for CAD/CAM, where you are liable to move a lot of data around, I would highly recommend two (2) internal disks rather than 1 single big one. I see a large difference on my multi-disk system as compared to my single disk system when I do video editing (which is probably comparable to CAD/CAM in terms of amount of data). Alternatively you could go with an eSata port and an external eSata disk.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Build in out of date.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

tfinder

Since WHS mentioned that an external eSata disk, I wonder if that would speed things up a little for me. I have a HP A6600F desk top, Vista home premium, 64 bit, 3 gigs memory (room for 1 more gig) 320 hard drive. This set up is fairly fast, I don't play games or handle large files. I'd like to add the 4th gig of RAM, but I damaged my previous Dell PC attempting to do that, I'm afraid to open the case. The HP is 2 months old. The people at the HP forum said adding memory should not be a problem, but they are not sure I would get much benefit. What do you think about connecting an eSata disk? My C: drive is 70% free. Thanks in advance

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

tfinder,
1. Adding a 4th gigabyte of RAM would be OK with 64bit Vista. It is really easy to put it into the slot (provided there are not too many cables in the way). Go to Start > Help and Support > User Guides > Upgrading and Servicing Guide > Adding Memory > Installing a Memory Module. That explains how to go about it. Just make sure you push it in until the little clips on side catch (after you have opened them before installing the Dimm). There are also video tutorials on the web.
2. An external eSata disk is an excellent idea - provided there is an eSata port on your system (unfortunately I do not have any on my systems). eSata is a lot faster than USB. The external disk you should use for backup and especially imaging/ghosting: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=35

Posted 5 years ago

StutzWire

whs, are you saying use a raid configuration? If so, what type would you suggest?

Also, do you have any suggestions for a video card? I'd like to stay around $250 for one.

Posted 5 years ago

StutzWire

raphoenix,

So you think its worth it to switch to the i7 now? I have went back and forth on whether its worth the extra money right now and still can't decide. I am looking to keep my total to the $1,200 to $1,300 range.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I am not suggesting a Raid configuration. I personally don't think that buys you much. I prefer independent imaging that I do once per week (but you can do it as often as you like). On a USB attached disk, it can take 1 to 2 hours to write the image (depending on size - mine are 58GBs now) whilst it would be done in appr. 20 minutes with an eSata attached disk.
As far as video cards are concerned, I am really not an expert. My video card requirements are very modest since I do not do any gaming.
I think the Q9550 is a fine processor. Here is a comparison of processors. It's from a German Computer mag, but you'll be able to read the numbers. The i7's are a rip-off.
And here is a comparison of graphics cards from the same mag. Disregard the prices. They are higher in Germany than in the US and they are in Euros anyhow.

Posted 5 years ago

StutzWire

Revised setup:

CPU:
E8400 Wolfdale (From what I've read, Autodesk Inventor, which is the most power hungry app I run only uses 1 core so a quad core is senseless for me right now)
Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R
Hard Drive:
2 Western Digital Caviar SE 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
Case:
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC
Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Memory:
8 gb total- 2 Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card:
GeForce GTX 260
Operating System:
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That looks better. I think you will be happier with the 2 disks. Too bad your program uses only 1 core, because for 3D graphic apps, the quad would be ideal. Maybe you can double check with the Autodesk people regarding the quad usage plans.

Posted 5 years ago

StutzWire

I still don't fully understand how you are suggesting set the two disks up.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

OK, Use the first disk for the OS partition (#1) - make that big enough to hold at least an additional 30GB of shadowstorage (you can set the size yourself), recovery partition (#2) and possibly a third partition for your data (#3) - seperating the user data from the OS has the advantage that you don't have to worry about data backups in case of a reinstall - highly recommended.
Use the second disk for Imaging (with Ghost, Acronis or whatever) - (#1). For that you need a good chunk 160 to 200GB). Then a data backup area (#2) where you backup your data from your data partition on disk1 and lastly a "Workarea" (#3) which I use to store temporary stuff and things I want to have out of the way. That second disk you can organize in 3 partitions (probably preferable) or just 1 partition with folders.

Note: If you need to know more about my point on the shadowstorage, come back and I explain. For starters you can watch this little video I made a few weeks ago.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!