The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - BSod on Windows 7

(20 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Cassie
  • Latest reply from Cassie
  • Topic Viewed 2063 times

Cassie

I just had my first BSoD today since I first started using a computer. It appears every time I boot up for no apparent reason and when I try to start in Safe Mode it won't start. When I press the f8 button, it emits a constant beeping sound that only goes away when I press it again. Nothing works including the DVD drive. I did a clean install of Windows 7 on top of my Vista and I've been using it for about a month or so, and foolishly didn't create a system restore point (ugh). I checked for updates the day before and there was a Windows 7 Security Update but I decided to install it later and put it in Hibernate, but started it today and it BSoD'd on me.

I did a system repair but it couldn't fix it so I went through the repair log and found this at the end:

Bugcheck 7e
Parameters: 0 x c0000005, 0x85d0abcb, 0x807f4628, 0x807f4200
Repair Action: System files integrity check and repair
Result: Failed
Error code = 0x490

Any suggestions on how to get my system up and running again without having to buy another copy and installing it over again? (DVD drive isn't working either...)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

You will need to run a repair. You can get a disk from here,
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/.....-download/

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

I don't have Vista, I have Windows 7, and I've already ran a repair but what I said previously was all the showed up as an error.

I got it so the laptop didn't restart when the blue screen showed up and it said something about the BIOS possibly not being update - does this have anything to do with the Windows 7 Security update that was released this week?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Scroll down that link I posted. You will see the W7 download.
These will sometimes work when the built-in system repair doesn't.

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

it's exactly the same as the built-in system repair...

I think I should install the security update that was waiting for me, but I don't know how to do that from my computer's current sate. Is it possible to install it via the command prompt from the system recovery options window?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Can you open a Command Prompt ? If yes, try step 3 here,
http://neosmart.net/wiki/displ.....om+the+DVD

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

Yes, I can open command prompt but bootsect.exe isn't on the disc that I burned from the website you listed, and I'm not quite sure where to find it; also, when I open command prompt it's in X:\windows\system32 (just wanted to mention it, in case it's got significance...)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

No guarantees,
http://cid-89aae340409e9dd4.sk.....otSect.exe

And to change drives, just type in,
C:
(for example)
at the command prompt

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

It can't find C:\boot\bcd, apparently because it's not a valid batch, key, etc. Also, it says it didn't find any Windows installations when I typed in rebuildbcd to see what would happen.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Can you borrow an installation disk, and follow these steps,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

I did all that, but it still blue screens on me. argh. is it possible to re-install windows 7 with the same disc and have it recognize that I'm reinstalling it and not have it say 'oh, this is a borrowed copy. you cannot use this' and shutdown on me?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

It should let you install OK. The important thing is that you have your own product key.

Edit. Some further reading on your problem (thanks Scott),
http://www.intowindows.com/how.....up-repair/

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

I do have my own product key, but I already put it into their system once already...will they let me do it again? Or will it rebound? That's what I'm worried about...

Posted 5 years ago

LH

No. You cannot use the same key on 2 machines.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

one suggestion is if you reinstall windows 7 and you get a good complete install MAKE A BACKUP / IMAGE of your "C" drive. If you run into a problem in the future you can just load your image. You won't have to worry about re-activation of windows. You never said what type of computer or the age of it. If it is a newer system you shoulld not have to worry about the BIOS unless the manufacture has a problem. You can visit their site to see if a newer BIOS is available. Did you upgrade from Vista to windows 7 or did you do a fresh install. If you did an upgrade from vista did you run the windows 7 compatibility check. It could be as simple as a hardware/ software conflict.

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

LH - on the same machine though, as in a re-install on the same computer

germ-x - it's about...3 years now? it's an HP pavilion dv6105. I did a fresh install then upgraded that install cause I had an upgrade disc. And yeah, I ran it and everything checked out fine - it was running pretty well for a month.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Cassie. That would be OK.
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-questions
btw, is it an OEM or MS Disk ?

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

I don't entirely undertand OEM, so I'm just going to say I got it from Amazon =) Thanks a lot for your help, though now I'm wondering if I should switch to Ubuntu...I've been using their live CD for a couple days now and I really like it...oh well. Thanks again!

Posted 5 years ago

LH

OEM is a disk that comes with the computer you buy. Not so much these days, as they come with recovery partitions. An MS disk, you buy from MS.
What is written on your disk ?

Posted 5 years ago

Cassie

The disc didn't come with the laptop, since I got the laptop nearly three years ago, so I guess it's an MS disc...and I don't have a recovery partition on mine either.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.