SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

BSOD in Windows 8CP - Pls Help - What to Do?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lizbet214
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1215 times

Lizbet214

My grandson has a 64-bit Toshiba laptop that came win Windows7. He is in the Marines now so he left the laptop here. My friend used it for a few weeks to find a job but it started to act erratically. I kept restarting it and would get a black screen several time, then restart would finally work. I installed AVG and it said it found 1 virus and fixed it. Then I kept getting AVG popups to buy this and that so I uninstalled AVG. I also tried to uninstall Office 7 so that I could install Office 10, but that wouldn't work either. I finally started a System Restore and chose a date back to July 10th. The computer seemed stuck forever on the "finalizing" part of System Restore, so after about an hour, I restarted it to try again. Lo and behold, I get the BSOD and the computer keeps restarting itself, over and over again. The error message is the dreaded process1_initialization_failed. There is no Windows 7 disk but the key in on the underside of the computer. What happened? How do I get out of this? I was hoping not to delete his Starcraft game and data file but I so don't know what to do. Can anyone help me??

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Boot Up a Macrium PE Disk (you will need to burn it to disk)

It should be fairly easy to create an image from there. (to an external drive

Download your windows ISO (I can't find the link, another member will post one)

Download DBAN and wipe your hd

Re-install windows 7.

------------------
This is a quick guide i'm sure that somebody else will post a link to a nice tutorial ;P

Owen

Edit: after imaging use this tutorial

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Windows ISO,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Posted 1 year ago

Lizbet214

Thank you both. I have a question that the answer is probably yes - am I going to lose files and software installed since purchase? Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Maybe not. You could try this,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

If you image, then you will most likely be able to get the files, but software will need to be reinstalled

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

If you make a backup first like Owen123 said, then you will have EVERYTHING backed up. Then follow the tutorial to re-install Windows 7. Once it is re-installed, you can copy the files from the Macrium image you created first. The only thing left to do after that would be to re-install all of your programs.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Does no one read every post, and link, in a thread ?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!