The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Breaks in Word 2010

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by zephyr1034
  • Latest reply from zephyr1034
  • Topic Viewed 696 times

zephyr1034

I have a very long (460 pages) document in Word 2010, specifically a draft of a novel. When I line up the chapter titles with the top of the
page, they won't stay there if I make changes to previous chapters. What kind of break do I need to separate chapters and allow me to
add or subtract text without disturbing the position of the next chapter?

I can't get a page break to work at all. The Word help screen says, "Word automatically inserts a page break when you reach the end of a
page." If that's true, why do my chapter heads keep moving around?

To insert a manual page break between pages 1 and 2, I put the cursor ahead of the first character on page 2, right? Then go to Insert on the
ribbon, then click Page Break. After I do this, it pushes page 2 down to page 3, and leaves page 2 completely blank. And no dotted lines anywhere
to tell me where the page breaks are.

These instructions look simple, and I know how to read. The answer is probably staring me right in the face, with my eyes and brain
skipping right over it.

But I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

oldgeezer

As far as the manual page breaks are concerned, you need to put the cursor after the last character on page 1, press delete until the first character from page 2 appears on the following line, then insert the page break - that will put the break in correctly. You can also put the cursor after the last character on page 1 and then insert a page break, you then need to remove any white space at the top of page 2, but the end result is the same.

I don't think Word 'automatically' puts in page breaks, it just 'automatically' carries your text onto the next page when you reach the bottom - not quite the same thing.

Posted 2 years ago

zephyr1034

Thanks, geezer. It worked like a charm. Nowhere in the Microsoft help screens does it mention using the delete key to bring the next page up.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.