SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - BOOTMGR Missing. Computer won't boot from CD..

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Zible
  • Latest reply from Zible
  • Topic Viewed 7640 times

Zible

Hey there,
My computer was really slow, and it actually got to the point where I had 0 kbs free space on my C: drive. I figured it was about time to clean off my drive and get a fresh install of Windows on it. I brought the hard drive to my friend's house so we could start working on the (easy haha) project together. We got Windows up and running, but soon realized he had an Intel processor, and I have an AMD. I packed my bags and went home, and figured I could just run the CD again and re-install Windows on my computer. However that wouldn't work. So I plugged the hard drive into my brother's computer as a slave (since he has an AMD processor) and re-formatted the hard drive. I plugged the hard drive back into my computer and tried to boot from the Windows 7 CD, but all I get it "BOOTMGR missing". I feel like this topic has been visited 19280 times, but as usual no situation is the same. Any advice would be great.

regards,
Zible

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

bump

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

bump....

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

Bump

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Are you sure your BIOS is set to boot from the DVD/CD. Are you sure the disk you are using is bootable? Have you read at least 1 or 2 of the 19280 other threads and followed the suggestions there? If so what have you tried?

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

Yes Yes Yes Yes. I've tried using different computers. I've tried the CD in my laptop to ensure that it is a working CD. I have checked, double checked, triple checked, and checked again that I was booting from CD. The CD will run, but not when my hard drive is in the(any) computer.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Is the CD Player an IDE device ??

Is the HD an IDE Device ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

So I plugged the hard drive into my brother's computer as a slave (since he has an AMD processor) and re-formatted the hard drive.

Zible, just a thought, but did you flip the switch from Slave to Master on the back of the drive?

Jim

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

When you attempt to boot up with the Cd in the tray what exactly happens?
Does the Cd led blink like the Cd is trying to load?
If you attempt to boot-up without the Cd what happens? Do you get the Bootmgr is missing error?

Posted 2 years ago

duncanwg7

is it the licenced windows7? try to make a usb boot disk to see if the bootmgr file is there

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Unless it's an original MS disk did you burn the Win 7 disk at no more 4X?

This recently happened to me and wouldn't boot my Win 7 disk after I wiped my SSD for a full install.
I followed the instructions here http://www.sevenforums.com/ins.....ost1335163
Then I rebooted and started the dvd again and it worked.
Edit: I have no explanation as I've created numerous win 7 unattended install disks in the past

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

Unless it's an original MS disk did you burn the Win 7 disk at no more 4X?

I think I burned it at 8x.. since I didnt really think that it mattered...

is it the licenced windows7? try to make a usb boot disk to see if the bootmgr file is there

I made a USB boot disk. However my computer refuses to boot from USB.

When you attempt to boot up with the Cd in the tray what exactly happens?
Does the Cd led blink like the Cd is trying to load?
If you attempt to boot-up without the Cd what happens? Do you get the Bootmgr is missing error?

The CD makes alot of noise and yes the LED blinks. If I attempt to boot with or without the CD i get the error. I think I might just have to find an .iso instead and try that disk.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

.iso's
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/
burn at the lowest speed you can.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

If using FREE imgburn and is setup correctly, automatically calculates burning speed on the fly and usually is 1X.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Zible

Finally got the hard drive to work. Turned out to be a bad CD. Thanks for the help (especially about needing the CD to be at the lowest speed possible)

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.