SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - BOOTMGR issue. mirror of hard drive. need help out of ideas.

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Rudy
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 341 times

Rudy

so ill start by explaining what is happened, happening, and what I'm trying to do. maybe you guys have an idea. I have a bad 750GB 7200RPM SATA, replacing it with an identical make, model, size, and year. new drive has been checked, formatted ( FAT32, NTFS, FAT, and various others for safe measure), Partitioned, and i have copied data via HDD dock. the drive is a complete copy all files with no issues at all. ( ie. error, "are you sure", any thing along those lines. im trying to mirror or totally copy the HDD. i have Acronis software i haven't tried yet. still skeptical. i have a backup copy of the HDD to be copied on a TB Network Storage Drive.

Moving along... i now have the new drive copied (tried each format, after partioning each drive) and it is in the computer which still is in fully operational order. and when the BIOS loads the OS it say BOOTMGR is missing. I have then put in the factory restore dics to restore the BOOTMGR via CMDPROMT. Still no sucess, what is the process im skipping or over looking?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I recommend that you simply clone the current disk to the new one using Macrium Reflect. This will insure that all partitions are copied in their proper format to the new drive and it will look exactly like the working drive. I have done this several times with good success.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Rudy

ill try it. Acronis required it to be burnt to disc and both drive placed inside the computer. is Macrium the same?

Posted 2 years ago

Rudy

tried it in trial mode. seems legit, many uses for such an incredible little program. thanks very much for the intel. I'll look into getting the full version now.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

If you want to fix the bootmgr, you have to run a repair/install 3 times with your installation/recovery disc. That will work provided your system partition or your C partition is marked as 'active'.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.