The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Bootmgr is missing....nothing is working plz help :(

(23 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by chad3822
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 7106 times

chad3822

Ok everyone...I know there are several topics on this but I am having a huge amount of trouble. I recently tried to wipe my dell laptop to its factory image. It's a dell XPS M1530 laptop. I got halfway through the reformat and it restarted and now when I try to start it up.. I get the Bootmgr is missing message.

Now I have tried to boot from the dvd drive...with a burnt iso image dvd...which i got from this forum.. and it doesnt recognize that vista is the OS.
And so I try to install vista with this. but it gets halfway through and says cannot be completed.

I really need a way to just wipe the computer clean...and start 100% new.

If you have any ideas. plz try to give good step by step instructions... im only decent when it comes to this tech stuff.. thanks everyone!

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

hi chad3822, Does your Dell have a factory recovery partition? How did you attempt to recover your system? Do you have a vista installation Dvd? If not you need one. Do you have a good backup image of your O/S partition? If so you should ba able to put your image recovery disk in the tray and boot your computer, follow the instructions and you should be go to go. I have a feeling you got a repair Dvd from this site not an installation Dvd.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

rpaprocki

Hi! I know I'm new here, but I ran into a similar problem about 6 weeks ago and I think I can help.
My instructions probably won't be terribly clear, you should probably do a little more research, but this should give you a good start. (And seeing as you have posted here, I am assuming that won't be a problem.)
My guess is that Bootmgr was corrupted during the reformat process. Try using your Windows boot CD as a repair disc (there should be a 'fix your computer' option when you boot from the disc- it depends on what you are booting with).
Navigate your way to the command prompt. Here you will fix bootmgr.exe. There are several code inputs that I've found. I'm not sure which on will work on your system. You can try looking at this page or this one.

After the MBR is repaired you will want to format your hard drive again... completely this time. ;)

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

Germ-x you are correct. I did only get the repair dvd.. not the installation dvd..and yes i was using the dell factory recovery..that was what I was originally using to wipe the system but apparently messed up.. I do not have a vista installation dvd. when I try to install it from the recovery dvd I burned.. I type in my product key for vista which luckly is still readable on the bottom of the Pc. I also do not have an image recovery disk :( i do not know why I never made one for this computer as I have for my others.

Rpaprocki.... I have tried going to the repair my computer and going into the command prompt. and i used the execution bootrec/fixboot and it said it was done successfully but when i restarted. It still gave the bootmgr is missing message. I am going to look at your links and try the other commands and let you know the outcome shortly.

Second question, if none of this works.. I am running Windows7 on this asus that Im using now. again. i dont have the installation dvd. but since I bought the computer and legally have windows7 is there a way I could but it onto the other one? I dont want to do anything illegal Im just not sure if I am allowed to or not. I would like to think that it is the same way with office, pay once and get to use the key 3 times.

thanks in advance for all of the help everyone. I truely appreicate it.
Chad

Posted 4 years ago

bartz118

Hello,

I recently built a new computer and installed windows 7 on it. I used a backup program to create an image and then I wanted to make sure that it worked and ran the restore from image. After that the computer would no longer boot stating that the "BOOTMGR is missing". I then tried to fix it with the windows installation disk. It found nothing wrong and started windows(Note I did not remove the installation disk, but during the boot process it asks me to hit enter to boot from the DVD/CD. If I do not hit enter it boots windows 7 fine.) I then restarted the PC with the installation disk removed and I recieved "BOOTMGR is missing" error message. So I tried to fix it again with the installatioin disk. This time I removed the disk when I restarted the computer and it wouldn't boot windows again.

I have several physical hard drives in the computer and I tried a different one to boot from, even though this one just was a spare for me to store data, and viola it booted windows 7. Im not sure how the bootmgr moved to a different hard drive, but it did. The only thing I can think of is that my spare drives are old IDE drives and they are on channel 0 and my main hard drive is SATA and it is on channel 1. Somehow during the the restore process it moved the bootmgr to the hard drive on channel 0.

Hope this helps.
Justin

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Justin, welcome and thanks for that. Never had the problem myself to test on, but that file does seem to move around a lot :)

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

Justin and everyone else,
Ya i hear that this problem is very common, even more on vista. The problem is, is that Im on a laptop and only have one HDD. So i have no idea what I am doing wrong, i cant fix it from the recovery disk that i burned. I cant fix it through the command prompt. So If I could just reinstall vista completely that would be the route I would choose.
When I try to install it from the recovery disk I made. i type in my code and it trys to install, then it says that I am missing install.wim

So in conclusion...does anyone know where I can download vista install disk that i could burn. or even windows 7 if im allowed to.. since thats what im running on this laptop. I just want to get it working lol

Posted 4 years ago

LH

chad. As long as you have a valid product key, you can borrow an installation disk (must be same version as your key) to re-install.

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

when you say same version? like home or business? and I know that would be the easiest way...and thought of this originally but we just moved to the middle of no where, and dont know anyone around us that would have it. Microsoft doesnt have it available for download? this has been the world's biggest headache.

also Im new to the forums. so i dont know the rules on what to discuss and what not to. I have seen torrents of the installation disk. but I do not want to run into the risk of them being cracked or loaded with viruses.

P.S. I think my head is going to explode...

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

chad, do you have more then one partition on your hdd. How old is your laptop? If it is fairly new you should have a recovery partition installed by Dell when they made it. If that image has not been destroyed you can get your system back from that.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

Germ, its fairly new. its a dell XPS M1530 so maybe a year old. And the recovery partition I cant access anymore..thats what I was originally in. when (tried to wipe it to the factory image) and it restarted and started this whole bootmgr missing mess.

Ive been surfing for hours. and finally stumbled accross Windows AIK? which contains the install.wim and all that....so fingers crossed.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Chad. Don't go the public torrent route. You have no friends from where you departed who could not send a private torrent ?

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

ya.. i changed my mind on that. Im sure I could get one to send a private torrent, although im new to torrent-ing, if thats the term. im gonna try the thing I got from microsofts site.

if that does not work. how would they make the correct files that I need? Do they need to just copy the files that are located in the HDD. and turn them into ISO files? zip it and send it? Ill let yall know if this works.

Thanks LH. I appreciate the help

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

I went to the Microsoft site and it is legit. Really don't know if it is an installation disk but it is 1.4gb in size. Hope you can pass the validation.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

at 1.4 GB i'ts not an install disk.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

It is a install assist disk with a few utilities.

Posted 4 years ago

chad3822

sigh im still having trouble with it.. I dont know. what size should I be looking for?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

you might try this ,it is a partition recovery manager. Hopefully it will work.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

LH

germ-x. I don't think I've heard of an "install assist disk" before. Please could you enlighten me ?

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

LH here is the link. I downloaded it but have not tried it.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.