The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

...bootmgr is missing... Unable to boot from Vista DVD

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Robissimo
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 2295 times

Robissimo

My computer defaults to "bootmgr is missing ctrl-alt-del to restart" every time I start it. It will not boot from the Vista DVD or any other OS DVD. The only DVD it will boot from is the "orphan" Recovery Disk 1, because the number 2 does not exsist (please don not ask why). Obviously, at a certain point, the "recovery" ask for disk 2...
Any advice?

Posted 2 years ago

andressuarez

Mmm :( I have the same problem ... please tell me, did you solve it?

Thanks!

-------------------
Andres, Blogger

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

andressuarez hi. Please can you start your own New Topic for your problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Bumpkin

You should be able to boot with the Vista DVD. But the easiest thing to do is download the free Partition Wizard boot CD.
Get it here
You must burn (not copy) the .iso to a CD.
After you boot with the CD, on the left side look for Rebuild MBR and click on that. Here is the how to directions Rebuild MBR

Posted 2 years ago

Robissimo

Ciao Bumpkin! I followed your advice, I downloaded Partition Wizard and I made a CD. Unfortunately when I restarted my computer it defaulted to "BOOTMGR is missing" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I tried both options, F12 (directly from Boot Menu) and F2 (modifing Boot sequence). If it wasn't for the fact that "Recovery Disk 1" loads, I'd think that there is a hardware problem.
Can you think of anything else that may work?

Posted 2 years ago

AdrianTheChampion
AdrianTheChampion

Did you try downloading a new iso and burning the new files to a different cd?

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Dumb question - did you change the BIOS boot order to show the CD/DVD drive as first in the boot order.

Posted 2 years ago

Robissimo

Hi AdrianTheChamp! I downloaded the iso from the link that Bumpkin posted and I burned a new CD with Astroburn. Before trying to reboot my computer I checked that all the files were on the CD.

Posted 2 years ago

Robissimo

Ciao whs! Yes I did.

Posted 2 years ago

Bumpkin

Download ImgBurn and select Burn ISO to Disc, and set to burn at 4x speed. It sounds like your disk is not bootable.
Just use a regular CD, not one you can rewrite.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

There are two things that prevent your Cd from booting providing your computer starts up.
Bad or non bootable Cd
BIOS not correctly set so your optical device is first boot order

Posted 2 years ago

Salman1

A related issue....while buffering on YouTube, bootup issues with hpdv6000 laptop. Got it into safemode at one point. Then bootmngr is missing. Took it to local recommended pc repair shop. Says drive is shot and no data recovery. Thing is, pc shops dvds boot up on laptop with various repair programs. Seems its an operating issue not crash. Should I just get it back and try various self help methods or keep old drive and have new put in so I can use my laptop? Laptop does not make clicking sounds etc ie platten scratching etc? HELP!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Salman1 hi. Please post your question in your own New Topic.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Spam!

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

No Spam allowed! :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.