BootMgr is missing Press Ctrl + Alt + Del

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by joseymatt
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 20205 times

joseymatt
joseymatt

hi everyone,
i recently formatted my hard drive (with xp on it) using vista. I took the hard drive out of the desktop and plugged it in via ide to usb converter and reformatted via vista. Now when i plug in the hard drive to reinstall xp back on there it says:
"BootMgr is missing
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del"

i tried booting from the CD, but it still says that.

So please help i am in desperate need of help. i have been frustrated about this ever since i reformatted the hard drive.

I google it and the closest soluion if ound out was this :
How to fix bootmgr is missing error while trying to boot windows vista

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

joseymatt,
I'm confused at what you are attempting to accomplish and how your system is setup.
Suggest downloading this FREE program, burning a CD or making a floppy and running the program against the HD.
http://www.dban.org/download
Then try to Format the HD or install O/S.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

joseymatt
joseymatt

raphoenix,
i wanted to reinstall xp on the hard drive, so i ibacked up all the data and for some reason i took the hard drive out and took it to a computer with vista.
then i formatted the hard drive. once that was done i went in and checked the hard drive and there was no files in it. usually the "Windows" folder should be there but there was nothing. So i gave it a shot and plugged the hard drive back in to the desktop and boot the computer from the CD which had xp on it. after that it kept giving me the error message.
"BootMgr is missing
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del"

Sorry if that didn't make any sense. i am just worried that i wont be able use that hard drive ever again.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

joseymatt,
Don't worry, the HD can always be used again.
Do the procedure I posted in my first reply above.
Insure you Download and store OR have the XP drivers for your machine.
Post back as to the results of the XP installation.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

joseymatt
joseymatt

Thanks for the quick reply, I will definitely test this out and let you know. but 1 more question. once i boot from the cd and do the autonuke. what is going to happen. will it recreate the Bootmgr file.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

joseymatt,
NO. It will make the HD like it came from the factory with no partitions, tables and unformatted.
Use XP CD to Clean Install XP from scratch.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

cyberghost
cyberghost

I don't understand what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to copy your files to a windows vista computer from a windows xp hard drive.

If so here is a link that well help you fix that.
This is only for windows vista tho to fix the bootmgr

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

this one is for windows xp

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927523
I hope this help.

Posted 5 years ago

nigelallen

Hi all

I am having a similar experience to that of Joseymatt above. To cut a long story short my friends PC was severely infected, running no anti-virus what so ever! After trying many many different avenues we decided to wipe the HD and start afresh. I hooked up the HD (Maxtor DiamondMax 10) as a slave to my uninfected PC and promptly reformatted it (right click, format). I think this is where the problems began? My PC is running Vista and the problem PC was runing XP? - After formatting the HD and reinstalling it back in the pc when I try to boot from the XP installation CD it comes up with 'BOOTMGR is missing'

I have just downloaded the boot CD as suggested by 'raphoenix' but still get the same error message?

All I want is to have a clean HD that I can reinstall XP any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

N

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

nigelallen. Welcome to the forum. Please could you post your problem in a "New Topic". Thankyou

Posted 5 years ago

Craig

I have the BOOTMGR is missing on my laptop I put in the recovery disk and there was no operating system. Only now it is just a blank screen instead of saying BOOTMGR is missing and when i boot from the recovery disk a blue screen shows up that says An error ocurred Windows had to shut down to prevent damage to your computer ect.... can anyone help please?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Craig, see above reply by LH. No need to double post. Closing.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!