How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

BootMGR is missing error

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by randomguy
  • Latest reply from HPTouchsmart
  • Topic Viewed 19437 times

randomguy

Hey everyone
I have just received a new PC and i put in a windows 7 disk to install on it it got half way through when it stopped doing anything so i turned the computer off. I then turned it back on and it came up with this message BootMGR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart. Then it just goes in a loop.
any help would be great.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Hi randomguy, welcome to HTG.

I think since it got halfway through you'll need to install an OS of some description to get any sort of progress here. Have you tried to start the install again? Did you make sure the new PC is Win 7 compatible?

Col

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

Whats an OS? I can't get any further than the message. I press control alt delete and the computer restarts and goes to the message again and the computer is windows 7 compatible.

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

An OS is an Operating System; Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc. Can you get to your system bios? If you can, change the boot order to boot from CD/DVD and start the install again.

Col

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

the CDrom is the 3rd boot priority

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Okey Dokey, change it to first, put your Win 7 CD in and reset the computer. It should say something along the lines of "Press any key to boot from CD", press any key, and it should go through the motions. Once the install completes, remember to change it back to third!

Col

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

sorry if i seem i bit stupid but i can't seem to be able to change the priority

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

don't worry i've done it

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

oh damn now it comes up with press any key to boot from cd or dvd and then immediately after BootmGR is missing

Posted 5 years ago

triplemj
triplemj

Randomguy, you have a 30 min edit function on posts.....Hi LH, beat you to it:)

Sounds like you did not change the boot sequence, and its still trying to boot from HD instead of disc drive.

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

this is wierd i got through to the installasion bit but somehow i've made a partision.
???????

Posted 5 years ago

randomguy

now it's got stuk on the same bit as last time. The expanding winndows files bit. It just sits at 0%

Posted 5 years ago

mfee08

IM ALSO HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!! I BOOT FROM CD AND IT GETS STUCK AT EXPANDING WINDOWS FILES 0% PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME..... THERE IS NO OS ON THE COMPUTER. I HAVE A WINDOWS XP CD AND VISTA 32BIT CD.. CAN SOME ONE CALL ME AND HELP ME GET THROUGH THIS??

Posted 5 years ago

mfee08

I HAD VISTA ON MY COMP AND TRY TO REINSTALL CAUSE IT WAS ACTING UP AND NOW IM STUCK WITH NO OS AND CANT INSTALL ONE.

Posted 5 years ago

tylerrencher

I've had a problem similar to this. Download DBAN, burn the image to a CD, and run it on your computer. It will completely erase all of the data on the hard drive. Then you should be able to install an OS.

http://www.dban.org/download

You'll just have to get your boot order priorities figured out first because you'll have to boot from the CD.

Posted 5 years ago

HPTouchsmart

if you have any operating system disk, boot from it, install it then install Windows 7 again.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.