The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - "bootmgr is missing"

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by manybellsdown
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 2590 times

manybellsdown

I just received my new Windows 7 computer. I turn on the power and get a black screen saying "bootmgr is missing". Press ctl-alt-del to restart.
I know this is crazy (not to mention disappointing), but what can I do about it? Madmacs' advice was to call dell and have them replace it. Is there anything I can try first on my own, or will I be taking too much of a risk with it? I would really appeciate some useful help here. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi manybellsdown, did you get a Windows 7 OEM DVD supplied with your Dell machine? Matt

Posted 4 years ago

manybellsdown

Hi Matt. Yes I did receive a dvd with the computer.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

manybellsdown, did you mean to solve this topic?

EDIT: Seeing as it´s a completely new system with no data on it yet I would suggest re-installing Windows 7 from the DVD. During the installation make sure you delete the system partition and format everything, then choose to install. You probably also got a Drivers CD/DVD, you will then have to install your drivers.

Posted 4 years ago

manybellsdown

I mistakenly indicated "solved"; I'm new at this . . . . Yes, it is logical to re-install the OS but, being a little too fearful of really messing things up, if things go wrong I may never be able to get restitution from dell. I think, when I get home from work tonight, I will call dell and see what they have to say before I start messing around with things. I sure do appreciate your kind regard for my problem. I'll keep you posted about ensuing events with dell.
thanks, david.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

david, I will be back home shortly, after a 30 min. drive. You will not loose any waranty by just re-installing your operating system (OS). If you would like me to walk you through step-by-step then I have no problem helping you. It´s quite easy and nothing too technical!! :)

Posted 4 years ago

sykrot

If you have the DVD then just put it in, load it and click repair... I had same problem long time ago.

Posted 4 years ago

manybellsdown

Matt, I'm off to work myself right now; it's going on 7am on Thursday. I wouldn't mind being walked through the procedure.
do I get in touch with you through this forum later on this evening?

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi David. Well, it´s 3pm here, so I´m not sure I will be awake when you get back from work!! I´m sure another mod/member will walk you through though if I´m not around. Just bump your thread when you´re back home. Matt

EDIT: Do as skyrot mentioned above and try to do a repair, if that doesn´t help then post back.

Posted 4 years ago

manybellsdown

Hi Sykrot and madmacs. I called Dell today and the person from the Philippines, after trying to set things right, like reinstalling the os and performing a system restore, eventually determined that I had a corrupted hard drive. She made an arrangement for a technician to contact me to install a new hard drive. Well, as soon as I returned from work I got a call from someone in Salt Lake City, Utah (I live in Calgary Alberta) to arrange for someone to come to my home tomorrow afternoon to do the installation. How's that for service? So it looks like, on Monday, I'll be getting a call from the Philippines on Monday afternoon from someone who will walk me through the process of installing the operating system. Man, I am so impressed with Dell !!!

And let me say that I am very appreciative of the interest you took in trying to help me with my plight. Thank you, thank you. David.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Thanks for letting us know David, hope everything is sorted for you on Monday. If not, you know where to come!! :) Matt

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.