The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - BOOTMGR is missing

(23 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by husker16
  • Latest reply from husker16
  • Topic Viewed 7960 times

husker16

When starting up my computer, I get the message BOOTMGR is missing. I followed all of the steps that this site gives and nothing works. It said if it doesn't work, go to the forums for help, so here I am. I initially re-installed the operating system, then went back and re-formatted the C: drive then re-installed the operating system again. After formatting the hard drive is when this problem began. My computer will start up with the operating system disk in, but if I take it out and restart my computer, I get the message. Anyone know what I can do?

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Please, someone.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

husker16, hello. Do you have any data on the hard drive that you need? Be sure to back it up, if so.

You don't need to format your partitions because the Vista installer will do that. Follow these Vista install instructions at blackviper.com and when you get to step 9, choose "Drive options (advanced)" which takes you to step 10. Delete the partition that you already have and tell Vista to install in "Unallocated Space".

If you get stuck or have questions, report back with what step you are on and what you are seeing that is different than the screen shots in the installation guide.

Posted 4 years ago

Geo

Don't forget you will most likely need to tell your computer to boot from CD\DVD instead of the normal boot from hard drive. When your computer restarts it should say something about push F12 or esc to enter the Boot menu. If you miss your chance to push the button required it may ask if you would like to boot from the CD/DVD, and say something along the lines of "Push any button to boot from CD"

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Hey thanks for the replies. I should note that I have two hard drives (the one the computer came with and one I put in). When I get to the option to delete partitions, I get three options: Disk 0 Partition 1 New Volume 74.5 GB 60.7 GB Free Primary; Disk 1 Partition 1 RECOVERY 10 GB 3.9 GB Free Primary; Disk 1 Partition 2 139.1 GB 125.3 GB Free Primary. Which one do I delete?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

You need to know which drive is which and what is on those partitions. From the numbers, I get:

Disk 0 - 75 GiB ( 80 GB )
Disk 1 - 150 GiB ( 160 GB )

Since disk 1 has a RECOVERY partition, that is probably the one that the system came with, a 160 "GB" drive. System manufacturers usually put the RECOVERY partition on there. That suggests that you installed the 80 "GB" drive. Do you already have a working OS install on one of these drives?

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Yes I do. I think the working OS is on the drive that I installed because I formatted the C: drive so when I reinstalled the OS I must've installed it on the newer drive.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

It sounds like you must have wiped out the boot manager when you formatted that partition. You can do a Startup Repair as described here to get it back.

Were you planning to have two operating systems in a dual boot configuration?

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

No, I just wanted clean hard drives and a new operating system because I am planning on selling it. I just did what I read online, when I should have had someone who knows what they are doing do it for me. I already tried doing that start-up repair and it didn't work. Is there anything else I can do or did I just ruin my computer and make it unsellable?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I see. I don't think that your system is ruined and it certainly can still be sold. What is the make and model of the computer? Since the RESTORE partition seems to be intact, you could try to run the factory restore utility. When you sell the system, you are selling the Windows license that it came with so a factory restore would be a good way to put it back the way that you got it.

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

It's an eMachines t3626. I'm very computer illiterate, so I wouldn't know how to run the factory restore utility.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Well, eMachine's website is not very helpful. Most systems with a recovery partition have a key you can press at boot time to access a recovery utility. Try pressing F11 when you see the big "e" splash screen as it's booting up.

You mentioned an operating system disc that you have been using. Was this provided to you by eMachines? What is written on it? Do you have any other discs that came with the machine?

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Yes the disk came with the computer. And my computer starts up just fine when I put the disk in. If I take it out and restart my computer, then I get the BOOTMGR is missing message. The disk says Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit Operating System Disc. I don't have any other disks

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

This system originally came with just the 160 GB drive. Adding the 80 GB drive is making this situation more complex. You have Vista installed on the 80 GB drive, but the boot manager was on the 160 GB drive before you formatted it.

You can reduce the complexity by removing that 80 GB drive. Then you should be able to install Vista on the 160 GB drive using the OS disc that you have. Sell the 80 GB drive separately, or keep it for another PC. If you want to give the 80 GB drive to the buyer of the system, let them deal with the complexity of installing it.

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Ok, I'll try that and let you know what happens. Thanks a lot.

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

I took out the 80 GB hard drive but now it won't give me the option to boot from a disk/cd, so I pushed F10 which is the boot menu. I get four options, Removable, Hard Disk, CDROM, and Network. When I click CDROM, it says No Bootable Device Found. So, in summary, it doesn't work. Would you know how to work around this, or any other suggestions?

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Hey it's working! I unplugged both hard drives (one at a time) but it didn't work. So I decided to plug both back in, then I put in the installation disk. When it came to the screen where it asks what hard drive I would like to install it on, it only had two options this time, the C: drive and the RECOVERY one. I guess it doesn't detect the 80 GB hard drive anymore. So I selected the C: drive and now everything is working, even without the disk in! I'm just worried it's going to happen again. Should I just leave the 80 GB hard drive plugged in and not mess with it, or will I be ok with shutting my machine down and unplugging it?

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Yes, leaving it that way should be OK. Since your plan is to sell it, let the next owner deal with the extra drive.

Posted 4 years ago

husker16

Ok, I'll leave it alone. The only thing is, I know the person that is going to buy it. Although she'll never think twice of looking inside the computer.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oh, well that's not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking that if you were selling it on eBay, for example, then most buyers would have some knowledge of the system.

Consider this: since you know the person who is buying it, will she ask for your help if it starts to act up? If so, you should probably fix this now.

What I can't figure out is why things work when the 80 GB drive is installed, but no cable are attached, but they don't work when the drive was completely removed. Are there any cables still attached to the 80 GB drive?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!