The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

bootmgr is missing

(48 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bobstail
  • Latest reply from Ripper
  • Topic Viewed 2307 times

Ripper

hi Linda , try this link to start, follow the instructions on the screen and u will get it to boot from cd first. it should be the same as your model and if somewhere on the bios screen it says save and exit do so if all is good follow the instructions from the previous posts.
http://www.ehow.com/how_686431.....l-cd_.html

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi Thanks but there is no options for a cd dvd drive in my bios there is Optical drive usb optical drive network usb hard drive Etc would you mind telling me the order the bios shuld be in? Thanks I appriciate all this but I am afraid I am not good with all this Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

when u r in your bios set up some where on the screen should be the version of the bios, example phoenix and a version number writ e it down and re post.

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

also re post your model , did a search on sony web site and no match. and do u have a cd drive on that model?

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi the model is a sony vaio desktop all in one from canada PCG-2C1L The Bios version is R2040W5 Thanks I so appriciate all the time you have given me Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

wendyjucy

You can try to fix it through create rescue bootable flash drive, the lens from here may be available for you: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edit: by Gmod, the link you sent is not a recognized fix here. If you tried it and it works. post back. Otherwise we don't allow first time posters to post untested links.

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

Linda if u need a repair disk go here and download the one for your system and burn it to a cd. http://bootdisks.windowsreinstall.com/
go here and download imgburn to burn the file to cd. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
when imgburn opens click on write image file to disk, it will take u to another window and click on the little yellow folder and it will open a new window and find where the repair iso you downloaded for your system click once on it and then click on the open button near the bottom right hand corner, then it will take you back to the main window of imgburn, make sure u have cd in your cd drive and then click on write to disk at the bottom of the window and just wait till it is done.
if u need to find out what your system is click on thw windows start button and find the control panel link and click on it then click system and then system again all your info should be right there, write it down look for 32 bit or 64 bit windows version, go and download it from the link posted above. again do u have a cd drive on your Vaio { broken computer }

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

once u get up and running on your broken computer do the system check , got ahead a little there, but still need to know if u have a cd drive to start any more further comments.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi Thanks but I have a windows repair and restoration disc 32 bit I just need to know how to bypass bootmgr and boot to reload the dics and I think I am doing it all in the wrong order and I also cant find cd dvd drive in the bios, Thanks again I have to work to 9PM tonight so I appriciate all the info I can get so I may not post again untill tomarrow, Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

try this link to get to your cd settings. http://techtips.salon.com/boot.....o-613.html
use your tab button or left, right , up and down keys to move around in your bios.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Linda,

Optical drive IS your CD/DVD drive.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

above reported post is spam/self prom.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Fixed, I think they just might have googled an untested solution.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

hi I still have not been able to reboot, is it the USB optical drive or the internal optical drive that should be first in the bios Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

The internal.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You need to put first in the boot list the device you are wanting to boot from.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

OK I put it first now is says PXE-MOF Exiting PXE rom and the the dreaded bootmgr is missing press cntl alt delete to restart the disc is in the drive any suggestions? Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

Ripper

it is trying to boot from network location, go back into bios and make sure that the boot sequence has the cd drive and hard drive listed before PXE.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

hI YEAH it is the optical drive first no trace of any PXE in the bios Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

ok I disabled the network boot in the bios or could I boot from a network if my cable is plugged into it? Thanks I really do appriciate all the help and great advice but I cant seem to do anything with this and I am getting ready to give up Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!