The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

bootmgr is missing

(48 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bobstail
  • Latest reply from Ripper
  • Topic Viewed 2307 times

bobstail

Hey can anyone out there tell me how to get off the bootmgr is missing press cntl alt del to restart I cant get off the black screen at all Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Boot from a Windows Vista Install or repair disk and run the repair. See if that helps.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/ You didn't give a lot of info but, see this link.

Edit: xhi, you were faster on the draw:)

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi yes I tried to boot off the disc but it always goes back to the same black screen with the bootmgr message I cant get off that screen is there a way or a key to press to get off that same screen? Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Did you try the command prompt option?

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

I appriciate all help but I dont know what that is it is just stuck on the same screen you sent me the link to

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Is CD/DVD selected as first boot priority in BIOS ?

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

HI yes I think it is I cant cant get to any startup menus or options it is stopped on the bootmgr message it goes to the vaio screen and then right back

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

When you restart the computer keep tapping F2 or F3 (not sure which one on a Vaio), this should give you access.

This needs to be done before the BIOS hands over to the OS, try it as soon as you see the Vaio screen.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

thanks I have acsess now where do I go to?

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

anyone know how to reboot from the screen that says mai advanced security etc? Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Use the Esc key or look for Exit menu. Have you change the boot order to boot from cd first? If yes, make sure you save changes on exit. While you are there (BIOS setup), take a look at the Main menu and see if the hard disk drive is being detected by the system.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi thanks so much! I dont see a cd on the bios I only see external harddrives and so on is it called something else? Then when I exited it came back to the same bootmgr screen I am getting there but I really dont have a clue what to do, I dont know how to get to the main menu or a start up menu any ideas? Thanks so much Linda

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Linda, can you give us the Vaio model? Also, disconnect any external drives connected to the computer before powering ON.

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

yes vaio model number would be useful, can then get some screen shots for you and show you where to navigate to in the BIOS.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

tHANKS IT IS A VAIO DESKTOP ALL IN ONE MODEL # pcg-2c1L much appriciation and I do not see the cd dvd drive in the bios could it be another name? Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

Hi I just entered a screen that says press any key to boot from a cd or dvd and I put the disc in pressed the space bar and enter and so far nothing should I wait?

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

well now its gone I guess I have to figure out the bios and I am a complete idiot about this stuff,LINDA

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Try again. Why did you press two keys. :IE: spacebar and enter? It said to press any key to enter.

Posted 1 year ago

bobstail

I dont know but now I cant get back to that screen only to the bios how do I get back to the screen? Thanks Linda

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!