Bootmgr is missing

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Bertner
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 356 times

Bertner
Bertner

Hi,

I recently bought a new SSD (G drive currently) and installed windows 7 professional (OEM) on it. I have another hard drive (in C drive) with windows vista.

I am trying to boot from G drive. When I make this the drive to boot from at BIOS, I get a message "Bootmgr is missing; Press clt+alt+del to restart". Key board does not work at this point. However, when I make C drive the 1st choice to boot in BIOS, windows starts but then I can not choose between vista, windows 7 or even press F8 for safe mode. Basically keyboard stops working here too.

Since I am using OEM version, I don't have "repair from windows DVD" option either. And I did not get a chance to make the recovery disk. I already tried formatting the new hard drive and doing a clean installation of the new OS.

Please help me figure out where the problem could be. Eventually, I don't plan to use windows vista at all and format C drive to use it for some other purpose.

Motherboard is X58 Deluxe.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

When you install Windows 7 on your SSD, you have to physically unplug the HDD with Vista - else your Windows 7 bootmgr will land on it - especially if that HDD is on port0.

Posted 1 year ago

Bertner
Bertner

Thank you whs.

I was going to try what whs suggested. So, I formatted the G drive. I restarted the computer to go to BIOS and change the 1st choice of Boot.

So now the problem is I can not get into BIOS. The default OS is windows 7 ( even though I already uninstalled it). And my keyboard does not work while booting.

Please help!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Bertner,

You did not Build that machine.

Who Built it ????

Posted 1 year ago

Bertner
Bertner

It was built by one of my colleagues.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

That mother board has had (17) Bios Updates.

Suggest you get the Hardware Straightened out FIRST so you can get into Bios.

Support Site for Asus X58 MB.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboar.....e/#support

Select Download Tab to download the Manual.

Posted 1 year ago

Bertner
Bertner

I removed the battery in the mobo. so, I can go to BIOS now.

I tried to boot using the Windows 7 installation CD but once it boots and enters windows, I can not get further.

Please suggest.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

What exactly is happening.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Did re-setup the Bios the way it should be after you installed a new battery ??

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!