How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

bootmgr is missing

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by chantelle
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 319 times

chantelle

hello
i am having a problem with my hp notebook that keeps telling me "bootmgr is missing" on a black page can anyone please help me fix this problem? it is windows 7 factory settings whatever that means? i do not have the disc that has all factory settings on it , it did not come with my computer and i think my warranty is up. i bought my laptop in 2010.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Hello Chantelle, welcome to howtogeek.com
Try this fix...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

tanov1

I'm have the exact same problem with my Windows 7 Home Edition. I tried the fix at the link suggested, but did not work. Any other ideas without resorting to a complete reinstall?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

tanov1, hi, could you repost your question in a new topic please.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

If the link by Hermitt does not work, try this more complete procedure:

Follow these instructions to get to a command prompt (and backup your files if needed).

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

You could try an "Automatic Startup Repair" (run it 3 times to make sure), if that does not work, get to the command prompt, and run the following commands to make a new bootloader:

Follow the tutorial to check the letters of your drives (C:\, D:\ etc.) from Notepad's "Open File" dialog. They may be different in an environment like this: for instance your recovery partition may be labeled "C:", and your Windows 7 may be labeled "D:", although this is rather unusual.

Then mark your Windows 7 partition as active. Use the following commands:

diskpart
(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select the hard drive with Windows 7)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows 7 installation)
active
exit

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to repair your bootloader. Change directory to E:\boot, where E: is your Windows 7 install DVD (check the drive letter):

cd /d E:\
cd E:\boot

Run the following command, where C: is your System partition (check the drive letter):

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!