The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

BOOTMGR is compressed

(19 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Jferlisi
  • Latest reply from Jferlisi
  • Topic Viewed 870 times

Jferlisi

So my laptop has been having problems lately and so my best friend sent my the file to his Windows 7. So i could run it on mine and restart my comp since he lost my vista disc. Well i ran the setup and while it was restarting it came to a window saying BOOTMGR is compressed and for me to press CRT + ALT + DEL. So i did that and it starts to restart and comes back to that. It wont let me start it in safe mode or anything what do i do? I dont have the disk so im at a lose. I looked around on here and saw everyone saying use the disk. =(

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Running a Windows 7 recovery disk on a Vista machine is probably not a real good idea. You need to get a Vista recovery disk.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

I dont think the comp was made for vista. I have had alot of problems with vista thats just what best buy put on it.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

In that case you will have to purchase an Operating System of your choice so that you have your very own Product Key for it. Then you will have to do a complete install.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What is the make and model, and the Service Tag number of the laptop?

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

Its a Toshiba satelite and im not sure about the service tag number if thats the number after the model its a135-54527. Sorry it took so long to recomment. Thanks btw.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If you can boot into the BIOS, you may find the Service Tag there.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

BIOS?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

BIOS (Basic Input Output System) Before windows starts, the first splash screen. BIOS setup program is entered with a key, usually F2, DEL, or ESC, hit as the first screen comes up.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

Ok ill look and post tomorrow what it is.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

The BIOS is Phoenix.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes. Can you boot into it ?

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

No it just pops up with Ctrl + alt +del. The onlything the comp will let me go to is the Boot menu (i believe thats what it is). When i press F2 if gives me the menu and then F12 gives me the mode thing but pops up with the C drive or toshiba and Lan i have tried all three and they all come up with the compressed message.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

In the BIOS screen, have a look through everything, and see if it mentions the Service Tag.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

Why do you need the service tag? I dont get what your asking me to do.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It will tell us all we need to know how to help you.

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

Ok so when i go into the setup which is PhoenixBIOS untility, The options it gives me are Main, Advanced, Security, Others, Boot and exit. In main the only thing that i think would be of any use is BIOS is version V1.50, Advanced only gives me the option of enabling or disabling and then there is the Dynamic cpu mode. Security is just passwords, Other is just alarms and then there is boot which i can enable or disable the devices. There is the built in one, A FDD, A LAN and then the CD/DVD matshitadvd-ram. I hope this helps.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

OK. Is your installed Vista, 32, or 64 bit ?

Posted 2 years ago

Jferlisi

I dont know but i got a xp disk from a friend and installed that but now im stuck at the product key thinking they sent me that to but the didn't and dont know where it is. =( From one problem to another. LOL

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!