How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

BOOTMGR image is corrupt. Can't even boot with DVD

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tw15td
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 19416 times

tw15td

Hi Guys,

I have followed the instructions in the following link (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/) but I can't even get the CD/DVD to boot.

The screen comes up with "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..." and i hear the DVD loading but then it goes straight back to the error message "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.

Is there something that I'm missing? I've downloaded and burnt the iso from neosmart.net and use the recovery image from there.
Even at the boot screen when I press ESC to try and go the Start Menu it still goes to the error message.

I'm using Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavilion DV4-1042TX

Any ideas guys?

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

tw15td, Hi and welcome to HTG. Please make sure that you have Windows set in the BIOS to boot with CD/DVD first. A better choice at booting to disk is to put the disk in the drive, shuutdown your system, wait 30 seconds and then turn it on. When creating your recovery disk, did you burn it at a low speed? Burning at the higher speeds increases the chances of writing errors to the disk. Could the disk be scratched or dirty? Sorry for all the questions, but is necessary before addressing the BOOTMGR issue. Please come back and let us know...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

tw15td

Thanks for the reply baldeguy56,

The burn was at the slowest speed... the disk is clean because i could launch it on other Laptops and PCs with no problems...

I can't set any BIOS settings because every time the bios screen comes up and i press any keys... F12, F8, ESC anything that should bring me to a menu you screen, it goes straight to the error message as described above.

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

tw15td, Though I'm not sure as to what button your laptop uses (usually, F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10), but if you get a BIOS screen up, you then use the arrow keys to get into the different settings. I'm a little confused as to your postings. Unless you may be speaking of the POST screen instead of the BIOS screen. If it wasn't the above, would you be comfortable with removing your battery, then replacing it? This should reset the BIOS. Also,I would suggest to reseat your graphics card and if you have more than 1 RAM chip to remove 1, reboot and if no difference, put the chip back in and remove the other 1, then reboot again. If no difference replace RAM. These steps will rule out a few possible causes. Please post back as to what's going on,k? Good luck...Garry

Posted 4 years ago

tw15td

I just figured out what the BIOS screen was... I can get into the Startup Menu which gives me various options including Bios Setup, Boot Device Options and System Recovery.

THe boot device options has been set to boot from my internal CD/DVD but when I put the recovery disk in OR use the System Recovery option I get an error message as below:

The Windows Boot Manager is i.compati,le with,this sy=tem.

NOTE: The misspellings and non numerical characters are not a mistype, that is the actual error message.

Whenever I run a System Diagnostic test on the hard drive the laptop shuts off by itself after about a minute (reaches about 5%).

Posted 4 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

tw15td, Are you still having problems? The "Windows Boot Manager is i.compati,le with,this sy=tem" is bothering me as it is not right. I will research more on this, but so far haven't found anything that pertains to it. Maybe if another member can jump in and help explain as to why you are receiving this error and further, why is this error written this way? Garry

Posted 4 years ago

djchewy

Disconnect charger, remove the main battery and then the RAM sticks and any BIOS settings back up battery if present (if not, find the BIOS settings reset and reset it for up to 5 seconds. Let it sit for about 25 seconds to a minute. Place the BIOS back up battery back into the laptop *if there is one* ), then the RAM and finally the main battery. Lock the battery in, then plug in the charger to the laptop and then the wall socket, turn it on at the wall. Give it about 5 minutes before you turn it back on. Also check to see if the recovery disc is not dirty before placing it into the laptop. Press the laptop power on button. If this doesn't work then consult this HP service manual for further info if uncertain at: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01597750.pdf

If the information proves useless, then consult a qualified HP service technician.

Note: "The Windows Boot Manager is i.compati,le with,this sy=tem." Spelling errors like this usually mean either corrupt BIOS or corrupt recovery disc data.

Posted 4 years ago

Beauseph
Beauseph

just another conclusion could be that the HDD has failed. This error happened to me so I ran the Hard drive test and got similar results as you, the computer frooze and turned off. I took the HDD to a computer shop and they tested it and it failed. I had to buy another HDD(Hard disk drive). There is a built in hard drive test for HP notebooks. You just got to turn the computer off and back on and Tap F10 right when the computer turns on to get into the BIOS and then go to the diagnostic tab> then go down to the self test and run the short and long tests on the hard drive.

Posted 4 years ago

tw15td

Beauseph, I tried the test and it did the exact same thing

Looks like i need another HDD
Microsoft Answers have suggested a HDD failure as well :(

THanks guys, appreciate your help

Posted 4 years ago

wookieman

Hi,

My Laptop has recently developed a fault and the system won't load software or any files.

It is currently coming up with the following error message - BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl & Alt & Del to re-start.
I have tried loading the Prouct Recovery CD from Toshiba but for some reason I can't restore my system.

The CD goes through several "Diskpart" actions & confirms 100% complete. But it then fails outputting the following erro:
[error:23] C:\Windows\System32\WDI\Logfiles
Error restoring image
Data error (cyclis redundancy check)
Error:imagex could not apply VIsta F:5993XsP.swn
Index 2 from ODD to C:\
press any key to continue.

Could someone give me some advise on how to restore my system.

Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Hi wookieman and welcome to HTG.

Could you post your question in a new topic please. Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!