SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Bootmgr Failure and no way to backup files!

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by malstrom
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 371 times

malstrom

Hy Guys

Well I am completely guilty. A. I did not create any images or restore points. And I decided to try to repair from a BSD by using HP's systems restore. At one percent I stopped what I think was a format and I get the bootmgr missing failure.

I am beyond that now and the computer is telling me File: boot/bcd

or instert full version windows 7 / 64 install disk and choose repair.

The repair functions cannot revert to a saved version. The repair cannot be made automatically ,the repair tool has no choice in the Dialoge box . there is no O/S recognized.

I go to a DOS prompt to read files on the hard drive and I dont get a file structure that shows my pictures // or my music etc... Just system files. but at least some files...

Any ideas ? Can I back up anything before I do a Fresh wipe systems install.

Thx

Lawrence

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

The best way to access your drive is by using a Live Linux disk - one that runs from the CD. Ubuntu is probably the easiest to find, or the Kaspersky Rescue disk which is readily available. You need to have a suitably sized external drive (to hold your recovered data) attached before you boot from the Linux disk, then when it's loaded simply go into the File Manager program and look through your harddrive to see what you can find.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

More,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You can also download and burn this Macrium imaging .iso and image the partition. Then you mount the VHD and retrieve your data.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!