The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

bootmgr compressed

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by pregister
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 981 times

pregister

I got the dreaded "bootmgr compressed" error message, and can not boot. I did not have a backup cd. The recovery program would not engage when I booted with a bootable disk. I was forced to use the cd provided with my system to reload the OS, but the OS on that disk turns out to be Vista. The dos directory shows that the "old" windows was saved under "windows.old". How can I get Windows 7 to load? Vista does not allow me to see any of the previous programs that I had.

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

hey i saw your post - wanted to let you know about this - it got me out of a jam with the bootmngr once . you might wanna take a look.
it worked for me though.
g'dlck

Posted 4 years ago

pregister

thanks for the reply. that does not work for me this time. the problem now is that Vista is the working OS, and it boots up with same. I probably could live with Vista, if I could access all of the programs and files that I had been using and created. The recovery (repair) program would not work from the start up disk, I guess that was because the compressed boot manager was Windows 7, and the OS on the disk was Vista. I tried multiple times, but could not get to the screen to pick a restore date. The "Safe Mode with DOS prompt" would not work either (no prompt). With Vista working, is there a way to get Windows 7 back?, since the new OS (Vista) load saved Windows 7 under the "windows.old" directory....

Posted 4 years ago

vistual
vistual

you thru me for loop on that one!
im sure one of the big dogs will see this and chime in.
hold tight.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!