The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Bootable Windows 8 on USB?

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mkdniki
  • Latest reply from sensathyan
  • Topic Viewed 1828 times

mkdniki

Well guys, since I have some problem with my DVD ROM I find myself in a situation where I'm unable to install Windows 8. So I decided to install it from a bootable usb. But there aren't any tutorials on how to make a bootable usb for Windows 8. (I assume that for every different OS there's different method of making bootable usb). So can you guys help me about this? Also another important question. After I made the usb bootable and installed Win8, can I switch it back to normal usb or the usb becomes useless? And what is the method of making the bootable usb back to normal usb?
Thanks,
mkdniki

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=14 Read Whs post second one down is that what you want to do?

Edit: better yet just noticed,Whs may see your post. On site now. So, wait a bit.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

mkdniki,

Did you download Windows 8 and make ISO file per MS instructions ????

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

raphoenix,
I can't understand what you think. I downloaded the full pack (16 in 1) of Windows 8 in one ISO file. Aprox. size about 4.5Gb. And I want to put it on usb and install it on another PC (not where I downloaded the ISO) and also after the installation I want to restore my usb (to make it normal again, not bootable) if possible. I hope you can understand me now.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@mkdniki, You just want to reformat your flashdrive? Is that what you are calling a usb?

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

Yes, I think they are the same, aren't they? :)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Not really but, If you want to just clean the flashdrive that is plugged into the usb it should pretty easy. All data on the drive would be erased.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

I don't understand { full pack (16 in 1) of Windows 8 in one ISO file } ???

Can you give me a link to the download site ????

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

So what you are trying to say is that after making a flashdrive bootable, I can "reverse" the process and make the flashdrive normal again, just by formatting?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@Rick, I think there is a misunderstanding of terms used. See if this is what you get from OP's first post. They put W8 on a stick and once it was made bootable they don't know how to install it. Once they learn how to install it from the stick they want to re use the stick again.

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

@raphoenix, the ISO contains all editions of Windows 8. Win8 Pro, Enterprise... ProN, EnterpriseN... both for x86 and x64. All in all 16 editions in one ISO.

Posted 1 year ago

mkdniki

@warlock, I just wanted to know how to make the stick bootable and after that if it's possible to use the stick again. :)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Create Bootable USB stick with this.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

After installation Format the USB stick.

Just don't destroy the original ISO File on the hard drive.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

djhull3917

Do you have a current OS? if so then simply download

Free ISO Burner

run the program, navigate to the iso of windows 8, then click burn to (or something similar) then select your usb stick drive .... click start,

it should then burn, either double click it from the file explorer, the win8 setup should appear, or turn off your pc,, boot it up and access your boot menu <usually esc>> of something similar, your bios should be new enough to support removable devcies, simply use the arrows on your keyboard to select removable device, it should flash for about 5secs, then it will say "click any button to boot from removable device) and voila ! it should be complete !

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

http://www.imgburn.com/ is the preferred iso burner here.

The link you gave is not certain for win 8 let alone win 7

Can we please stick to what we know and just not fly in with unknown links

Posted 1 year ago

sensathyan

Windows 7 xxxxxxxxxxx is the best and easiest option for this problem

Edit by mod; Really?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.