The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Bootable CD

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Ntech
  • Latest reply from Ntech
  • Topic Viewed 1001 times

Ntech

I have several types of Dells, HPs and Gateway computers that require ghosting from time to time. I need a to create a universal bootable cd/dvd that can be used for all machine types. Upon searching Bart and netbootdisk seems to be the suggested way to accomplish this but I've had no luck so far. Does anyone know how where to look so I can manually create such a CD and if so please be kind to share the info.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Hi, welcome to HTG. Here, this might help,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/

Posted 3 years ago

Niks
Niks

@Hatryst - I haven't read the full article, but does this software takes the image of system? I actually use acronis for that purpose. If they both work similarly, I can think to switch. :)

Nikhil.

Posted 3 years ago

semiretired
semiretired

I think you would need a cd from each machine. I just used free macrium reflect. It said it was successful, but I have not needed it. I started by making the restore cd, then the image.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

have any like the dell's have a restore partition ? a recovery disk in that case would not be needed if you use one third party imaging software one recovery

disk made from that software you use would do all, (except dell's may be some others).EDIT: if you use m, reflect one recovery disk is ample .

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

Ntech

Thx 4 ur prompt replies.

I would like to use Ghost for cloning these machines. I was told the newer version has the capability to do what I trying to do but I don't have it yet. However I know there is a way to create a CD/DVD to boot to the DOS prompt or directly to Ghost regardless of the machine make provided the vendor & nic information was included in the list of drivers in some file. I have a partially working CD that someone shared with me but the machines boot to a static ip only.

Posted 3 years ago

Ntech

Does anyone know about WinPE and how to obtain the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)? I was told that might help.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.