The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Boot up lock up

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lauty1947
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 563 times

lauty1947

When I turn on my computer it starts to boot then locks on the screen where the coloured bar is moving across and it says Microsoft Corporation underneath. I then turn it off at the wall, restart it and start it from last good configuration which it does.

How do I prevent all this. I have restored twice but that is not the answer.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

If you can start your Windows from "Last good configuration", then try to open a Command Prompt ("cmd") and enter the following command:

sfc /scannow

Posted 1 year ago

lauty1947

I tried that I think, and got a message saying "you must be an administrator running a console session to use sfc. Please remember I am not really computer literate and need detailed instructions.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

James

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

In Start type in cmd then at the top right click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator. Then try sfc /scannow.

Posted 1 year ago

lauty1947

I type in cmd in start box. It opens a sub file called cmd which has 4 files showing, none of which are related to this, one is Paypal, another is an adobe doc. There is no cmd.exe in top right corner. If I click on the top bar I get the same command box I originally queried above.

Thanks for your help so far.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

try typing cmd.exe

Alternatively goto Prorams -> Accessories -> Command Prompt Right click select Run as Administrator.

Posted 1 year ago

lauty1947

Was able to do that but it said all is ok but problem getting worse.

???????????????????????

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

lauty1947, it could be that other problems may exist.
Graphics card problem, usb stick inserts etc

Try F8 on reboot for safe mode with networking, try repairs from there (ethernet connection required)

You may need to reinstall your operating system to be quite honest.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.