How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Boot sequence

(12 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by wmk
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 459 times

wmk
wmk

My OS is Windows 7. I used its backup program to create a system image (that contains a copy of Windows and copies of my programs, system settings, and files) onto my USB external HDD. It requires me to create a bootable CD separately, which I did.
My concern now is: what boot sequence should I set up in order to utilize the two - CD and external HDD - in the event of a recovery being needed. My current boot sequence is set to be CD/DVD drive first, followed by USB HDD.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Your current sequence is fine. The sequence is to boot up the drive where your bootable rescue disc will reside -- in your case the CD / DVD drive. Once booted up, there will be a series of menus / steps for you to take -- to start the actual restore process from your external HDD (as well as various other options).

If your system boots up to Windows first -- and you want it to boot to CD -- you can always change that by rebooting and changing the boot sequence.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Your sequence is fine. Follow what previous poster said

If you wanted to you could try Macrium Reflect. It is another back up program that works far better than Window's built in one.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I would be reluctant to use Windows backup and imaging facilities...they don't have a good track record. Macrium is the way to go in free apps.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Like StringJunky I am not a fan of built in Windows imaging. I prefer Clonezilla. One of these days I will give Macrium a whirl.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

I use EaseUS and I'm very pleased with it. I do system backup's fairly regularly, and 've done complete system recoveries more times than I can remember. Simple, straightforward to use -- and no mishaps whatsoever.

For pure data backup's -- which I do nightly -- I still prefer Microsoft's freebie SyncToy. No shadow copying though.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The USB HDD does not need to be in the boot sequence. It has no function in terms of boot. It is only a data disk to which you have to refer during the recovery process. You did not say which imaging program you used, but in e.g. Macrium, you would navigate to the image on the external HDD during the recovery process.

I suggest you create a small 2GB partition for practice. Copy some data into that small partition and then image that small partition. After that, restore that small partition from the image. This is a fast and painless way to get familiar with the whole procedure.

Posted 1 year ago

wmk
wmk

Thank you all. If I switch to Macrium Reflect, do I still have to make a separate bootable CD/DVD?
But if Macrium Reflect can clone the whole of the internal HD including the bootable part, then do I have to change my boot sequence to make USB external HDD the first on the list?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

whs already answered that question which is no. You are not going to be booting off the external HDD to restore an image or a back up. The external HDD just needs to be connected so you can navigate to the image or back up you wish to restore.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

For Macrium, you want the WinPE recovery CD (not the Linux version). You can do that yourself (will take over 2 hours) or you can download the ready made .iso from my Skydrive site. That takes appr. 8 minutes. Burn this .iso to a CD - suggest ImgBurn for that.

And here is a tutorial on how to deal with Macrium.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Thanks whs. I will download the iso and check out the tutorial as I am going to give Macrium a whirl on my lappie just to test it out for imaging. Currently use clonezilla for imaging and rsync for back up on a desktop tri-boot with Sabayon X, Ubuntu 12.10 & Windows 8. Always looking to increase knowledge and add to my arsenal.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You are welcome. Let us know how you made out.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!