How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Boot problem with dual drives.

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Calvin
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 298 times

Calvin

Hello I hope someone can help
Awhile ago I had to do a fresh install of windows7 ultimate . I did this to a new Sata 2tb drive wile the old drive was still in the desk top. I directed the new install to have sys and data in two different partitions on the new drive. I then proceed to import all my data and user profile. Every thing worked well. I did notice when booting I had two win 7 options and could boot to either my old corrupt version or the new. My problem is now I want to remove the drive with the old win 7 (it is in a swap drive bay) so I can insert my back up drive. Windows will not boot. "It says Please insert boot cd" This happens with both drives. It seem to need both to boot. Also if I try to hot swap the old win 7 drive in the swap drive bay it will not let me select it for removing.
I hope I described this clearly.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Calvin

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

You didn't disconnect the drive with the old corrupted version of Windows 7 when you did the new installation or you didn't set the disk the new installation was going on to be the first hard disk in hard disk boot order in BIOS did you? Your boot files for the new installation are most likely installed to the other drive. I haven't done this in a while but there is a way to fix this. You can try disconnecting the disk with the corrupted old version and boot from the windows 7 install DVD/USB. Try Repair my computer- and get to Start Up repair. Give me a few moments, I want to boot off my windows 7 USB so I can give better directions.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Boot the Windows 7 DVD/USB. Choose language. Select Repair your computer. Let it search for a windows 7 installation. Select Next. At the System recovery Options window -Choose a recovery tool select Startup Repair. You may have to run it more than once as it seems to only fix one problem at a time.

For more options: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392#method1

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.