The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

boot out of wireless

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by elfmeister
  • Latest reply from AdrianK-IT
  • Topic Viewed 518 times

elfmeister

I have an old (4 years old) laptop that functions fine except if I use it wirelessly in the home at the same time as using wireless with my other newer laptop. If I us wireless with JUST the old laptop...fine but as soon as I fire up the newer laptop and use it wireless, within a few minutes, I get booted out of internet on the old laptop and have to restart it to retreive it. This happened in 2 locations...one with a G router and then using an Apple Express router. Any suggestions why that would happen?

Posted 1 year ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

I wonder if both laptops are trying to connect to the router using the same IP address. Start up just the old laptop and connect, then type at a command prompt:
ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\IP.txt
This will create a text file on your desktop with details of the IP address setup.
Start up the new laptop and connect, wait till the old laptop is disconnected, then do the same on the new laptop.
Copy and paste the contents of the IP.txt files here (and tell us which is which!).

Posted 1 year ago

elfmeister

I hear what you're trying to say but it's not consistent. It'll go for a while with both laptops running smoothly wirelessly and if I try to download something on the web, that is when it'll boot out of the old laptop not the new one.

Posted 1 year ago

elfmeister

After taking your advice, I contacted my internet provider and told him what you said and he had me ensure that the laptop was set to "automatically acquire an ip address" and it seemed to solve the problem. However the following week, I opened up all 3 of our laptops and was working on the old laptop and then I kept getting booted out again. I called my service provider again and he thought it was my old laptop being a G wireless connection and my 2 other laptops and my Airport Express router (2 years old) were an N wireless, so he thought if I connected wirelessly my old one first then the new laptops, the router would send out G signal and solve the problem. If it were the other way around, (N devices first) then the old laptop (G) was not strong enough to keep the signal going and was consequently booted out. Made sense to me but it didn't work. He suggested to purchse a usb stick to convert my G to an N for the old laptop. I only get booted out if it's a large file. Any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

AdrianK-IT
AdrianK-IT

What sort of large file was it. Video? A download, or streamed?
I don't know much about Apple products. As I understand it, you can't administer the Airport Express via a web interface, but have to have the 'Airport Utility' installed on a PC. Do you have that, and have you any experience of configuring routers? I might try to solve such problems on a conventional router via QoS settings (aka WMM), check it is optimally configured for both G and N, see if there's some sort of 'protected mode' to assist lower speed connections etc.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!