The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Boot mngr is missing + missing CD drive

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Zaff88
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 373 times

Hey guys I know this problem seems to be pritty common but I have tried most if the thins on the net.

I havent done anythig diffrent to the PC or anything but The PC starts up fine with the win7 disk in but without it recently just stays there.

I have put the win7 disk in and thried the auto fix method and nothing happened then I tried doing the bootreck way again nothing happened. I remember seeing somewhere " I think during auto fix" it saying there was no problem found.

Second problem is that when I open up my computer the cd drive is missing this only had happened recently. Like I put in a audio cd and the acts like it doesn't recognise it. But when I have the win7 disk in to load up through that its fine and loads like normal.

Aaaaaaahhhhh heeellllp please!

Posted 2 years ago

Follow these instructions to get to a command prompt (and backup your files if needed):

Follow the tutorial to check the letters of your drives (C:\, D:\ etc.) from Notepad's "Open File" dialog. They may be different in an environment like this: for instance your recovery partition may be labeled "C:", and your Windows 7 may be labeled "D:", although this is rather unusual.

Then mark your Windows 7 partition as active. Use the following commands:

(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select the hard drive with Windows 7)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows 7 installation)

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to repair your bootloader (I think you already tried this, but just to make sure). Change directory to E:\boot, where E: is your Windows 7 install DVD (check the drive letter):

cd /d E:\
cd E:\boot

Run the following command, where C: is your System partition (check the drive letter):

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

Posted 2 years ago

None of the above worked...

Posted 2 years ago

Get to the same command prompt, and run:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Again, make sure of which is the letter of the partition with your Windows installation. It could be D: instead of C: while running the Windows 7 install DVD.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.