The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Boot mngr is missing + missing CD drive

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Zaff88
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 373 times

Zaff88

Hey guys I know this problem seems to be pritty common but I have tried most if the thins on the net.

I havent done anythig diffrent to the PC or anything but The PC starts up fine with the win7 disk in but without it recently just stays there.

I have put the win7 disk in and thried the auto fix method and nothing happened then I tried doing the bootreck way again nothing happened. I remember seeing somewhere " I think during auto fix" it saying there was no problem found.

Second problem is that when I open up my computer the cd drive is missing this only had happened recently. Like I put in a audio cd and the acts like it doesn't recognise it. But when I have the win7 disk in to load up through that its fine and loads like normal.

Aaaaaaahhhhh heeellllp please!

Zaff

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Follow these instructions to get to a command prompt (and backup your files if needed):

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Follow the tutorial to check the letters of your drives (C:\, D:\ etc.) from Notepad's "Open File" dialog. They may be different in an environment like this: for instance your recovery partition may be labeled "C:", and your Windows 7 may be labeled "D:", although this is rather unusual.

Then mark your Windows 7 partition as active. Use the following commands:

diskpart
(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select the hard drive with Windows 7)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows 7 installation)
active
exit

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to repair your bootloader (I think you already tried this, but just to make sure). Change directory to E:\boot, where E: is your Windows 7 install DVD (check the drive letter):

cd /d E:\
cd E:\boot

Run the following command, where C: is your System partition (check the drive letter):

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

Posted 1 year ago

Zaff88

None of the above worked...

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Get to the same command prompt, and run:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Again, make sure of which is the letter of the partition with your Windows installation. It could be D: instead of C: while running the Windows 7 install DVD.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!