SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Boot mgr error, system recovery disc not working?

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by autumnb
  • Latest reply from silhouttejames
  • Topic Viewed 284 times

autumnb

I went to boot up my mothers laptop up the other day and received the boot mgr missing, press ctrl alt delete to restart message.
After reading on this site, and a few others that I should be able to boot up with a system repair disc I attempted it. It allowed me to boot from disc, said windows is loading files, then proceeded to show my start up screen that normally comes up when windows is loaded and after that I get nothing but a black screen with the mouse showing.

I have no idea what else I can try, but I know with what the local repair shop wants to charge me just to diagnose that I'd be better off having her buy a new one. Any tips on how I might be able to fix this?

Might also add the recovery discs she made when she got it were apparently lost when she moved. I haven't been able to locate them.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Hi autumnb ,

Welcome to HTG ,

Keep trying with the repair disc until it loads properly (sometimes it can be stubborn).

Is the repair disc 32bit or 64bit ?

What bit is the laptop ?

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

If your Windows 7 or Vista computer has encountered the dreaded “BOOTMGR is missing” error, you aren’t alone. If the problem isn’t hardware related you can fix it with relative ease as long as you have a Windows DVD handy.

www.howtogeek.com/howto/window.....ows-vista/
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....issing.htm

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.