The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Boot manager missing

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Reesy
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 439 times

Reesy

We had a power outage while I was having computer issues and trying to fix them by doing a system restore. Now when I turn on my computer I get a missing boot manager message. I have tried everything to fix this. Our friend the geek gave me a clean, licensed, copy of Windows 7 64-bit and that is not fixing the problem either. When I get to the system recovery options there is no driver listed and it says there are no previous restore points. I tried to just install the new version of Windows but not having any luck there either. HELP! Please!

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Follow these instructions to get to a command prompt (and backup your files if needed). Use your Windows 7 install DVD:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Check the letters of your drives (C:\, D:\ etc.) from Notepad's "Open File" dialog.
First make sure your C:\ partition is marked as active. Use the following commands:

diskpart
(you are now inside DISKPART>)
list disk
select disk 0 (select your hard drive)
list partition
select partition 1 (select the partition with your Windows installation)
active
exit

You can now try to restart. If it is not fixed, try to repair your bootloader. Open again the command prompt and change directory to E:\boot, where E: is your Windows 7 install DVD:

cd /d E:\
cd E:\boot

Run the following command, where C: is your System partition:

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then restart your computer.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If the cmd approach does not work, do a Startup/Repair with your installation/repair disc 3 times (3 times is important).

If that still does not work, then you have no active partition. That you can check and set with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard.

Posted 1 year ago

Reesy

Thank you! Repairing the boot loader did the trick. I appreciate the help from both of you

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I'm glad this worked for you. Thanks a lot for reporting back!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!