How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Boot loader missing/corrupted

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sayekerink
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 990 times

sayekerink

Good Morning! I need some help.

My sister's laptop can't startup normally as it always. Instead, since yesterday, it shows the Windows Manager Boot page every time I turn it on. Then I seek help from my friend, he told me to have a Windows 7 Bootable CD and boot the CD. My sister used Windows Vista, so I try searched for Windows Vista bootable Disc all night long on the net, after some readings and many times downloading..and failure to obtain the .iso image, I finally get it right. And I managed to make a Windows Vista Recovery Disc.

I follow all the instructions that I read on the internet.. And I finally get to the Startup Repair. The problems is, it has been about 6 hours 'attempting repairs....' and nothing changed.. I tried to cancel it, but it told me that "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled".

Please help, i'm losing my patience seeing the blue bar moving left and right for so many hours.. haha. Thank you very much! ;]

Posted 1 year ago

sayekerink

I found the problem why it takes longer time.. This is because:

Please help. Because of nothing appeared there, that's why it takes longer time to complete the repair, because the computer itself can't detect what should they repair

TQ

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Maybe you can follow these steps with the Vista Recovery Disk you have. Click "Next" (and not "Load Drivers") and open a command prompt. Then do this:

Change directory to W:\boot, where W: is your Vista Recovery DVD or USB:

cd /d w:\
cd w:\boot

Run the following, where C: is your System partition.

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 C:

Then run:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd

Finally, make sure your C: partition is active:

Type "diskpart"
In Diskpart, type "list disks" or "list disk", can't remember which one is right.
Type "select disk 0" where 0 represents the number of your hard drive.
Type "list partitions" or "list partition", can't remember which one is right.
Type "select partition 1" where 1 represents the partition where you have Windows installed.
Type "active"
Type "exit", then "exit" again and restart to see if it works now.

If BOOTSECT.EXE is not working, get a Windows 7 install ISO from here (will repair Vista too):
http://forums.mydigitallife.in.....post470600

Use this program to burn the ISO to a DVD or create a bootable USB:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool

Once you have this, insert your bootable Windows 7 Install DVD or USB and boot from it. Select "Repair your computer". Click "Next" (and not "Load Drivers") and open a command prompt to perform the above steps.

If you have questions or trouble please tell us.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!