How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Bolding - Maybe the mods know

(57 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 1846 times

whs
whs

In my last post http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....ost-259123 I would like to bold the commands and put the comments that are in parenthesis in italics. How is this done here without an editor.

I think it would be a lot clearer for the OP as I do that always in my tutorials like in this one from yesterday.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Hi whs. You can use bbcode. Write "code" in <> brackets and see the commands will show up as they should. To end, write "/code" in <> brackets. Of course, without the quotes.
It will look like this

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n

(where n is the number that was given in List Disk for your disk in question)
Format /fs:NTFS Quick

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks Hatty, but that is kind of faint. Did you see the example I quoted.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Yes, I saw that. Perhaps this is not possible on HTG forums since the bbcode use is limited...
There was a "strong" bbcode which was used for bold text, seems that doesn't work either. Lets the mods arrive, we'll see...

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

hi whs ...
i think making the text bold is a feature thats lacking so just a thought ....
try seperating the commands from the rest of your text using either a different color than the default OR seperate the commands by sticking them in a quote box (or both), for example ...

===================================================

For Example

the bb code would be applied as follows ...

For example

===================================================

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks Vistual, That may work. But you have to jump thru a lot of hops - and I am a lazy guy, LOL. If at least the forum would not change the editing settings. Then I could prepare the post in e.g. Word and paste it into here.

This tutorial I referred to earlier I had made in Word and just pasted it into the window of the tutorial section.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Yeah and you can also use notepad++, but that's just the same thing.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

No problem ...
LOL!!
and i know where you're coming from!
it IS a bit time consuming, but the end results might justify the means. it takes a bit of patience though.

the trick is learning through trial and error what commands are accepted here.

there use to be a little key at the bottom of the text field that stated which bbcode was accepted but its no longer displayed.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Ywah, it is a bit like driving a Yugo when we are used to driving Cadillacs and Mercedes. LOL

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

One could always get one of the MANY programs that do 'macros' and use that to enter the surrounding code and the move the cursor to the proper point and make a normal text entry.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If you want to quote, it's "blah blah blah".

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

why was my post edited
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Irv, can you elaborate. I did not understand what you said.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

would love to know more about what he was referring to as well.
unfortunately - now that this was moved he might not even see that you posted the question regarding his suggestion.

from what i saw after a quick search (for programs that do 'macros')- i think he might have been hinting towards autohotkey maybe ???
http://www.google.com/search?q.....=firefox-a

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Let's see what Irv had in mind. I don't understand either why threads that adress a real problem are being moved to off topic. I would prefer a solution.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

what doesnt make the least bit of damn sense is that neither Hatty's post nor mine gave you the solution, but rather alternative techniques to use ( because of the limitations of the forum ) but yet my post was edited so that it only shows Hatty's suggestion which i simply made reference to so as to only make it more clear what he was talking about.
it was an unjustifiably stupid action that left me like WTF ? was that all about?

EDIT:
i wont go on about it any more since i hope that future posts in this thread will have more to do with addressing your original query.
hopefully Irv chimes back in to elaborate on what he was suggesting and how to implement it.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Vissy's post had a red text, quoted (bbcode quoted). I remember.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Tis fixed

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

no its not, but whatever, i dont care anymore.
it just that it shouldn't have been tampered with in the first place.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Code is allowed in OT, but not on the main forums.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.