How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Bolding - Maybe the mods know

(57 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 1846 times

whs
whs

LH< after all this discussion I still don't know how to do bolding and italics. Any suggestion?

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

he does not care weather or not you know how to do bolding and italics.
his suggestion will be to never attempt it ...

REGARDLESS of the fact that your only intention is to make a presentable tutorial or add emphasis to certain words or instructions.
Thats the respect and consideration you get for trying to put your best foot forward.
Thats the respect and consideration you get regardless of the wealth of knowledge and experience that you're willing to share.
i dont mean from everyone, but from some like lighthouse.

By the way, for the record though - like i said before, bolding and italics are lacking. you can try the codes but they simply wont work thats why Hatty and myself offered up the alternatives we did.

Posted 2 years ago

Scott
Scott

There will be no more anonymous edits by mods. Period.
(not that there were many to begin with)

Please keep all code limited to the O.T., this is a topic
that has been discussed many, many times, no one can
plead ignorance at this point.

So, please, everyone remember that we are here to help
others, not to draw attention to ourselves.

Posted 2 years ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

awesome!
thats gets me all the time!
LOLOLOL!

so hopefully you remember whats the guys name on first
; )

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

What's on second.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual
vistual

good job but remember whats the guys name whos on first ...

LOL!
i can do this all day!
: D

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

@ vistual, I read your comment and sense a certain sense of frustration on your part too. It is really unfortunate - I have been around this forum quasi from day one and we had a lot of good times and a lot of fun. But times are changing. Nowadays one expects certain creature comforts to make the forum work as easy as possible. All other forums I visit have moved to modern engines with facilities that make it easier for the OPs and the helpers to communicate.

I don't know how much it would take to migrate the HTG forum to the modern world. I think it would be worthwhile and make our job much easier and so much more enjoyable. But there is always hope. Maybe one day the Geek bites the bullet and gets it done. Then we will celebrate and have a big party - LOL.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs. That will be the day adverts arrive on the forums. Where do you think the money comes from to employ the programmers ?

and,
http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

LH, adverts can be the same regardless of the engine. In fact, the modern engines allow for a lot more adverts - not that I like that. But I understand that the money has to come from somewhere.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

But we don't want adverts here. And I'd hate to see the forums look like an explosion from a circus factory, as I am sure, many would agree. That is why we stay. I have worked on anther site, and it was a pain negotiating all the crap.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

That is a choice of the forum owners. On good forums ads only appear for non-members who search information (and those are usually about 80% of the people that are on the forum). For members you never see an ad.

But there are also bad forums where the owners chose to bug the members with ads. Those I have all skipped - except one where the guys are awfully nice and need all the help they can get.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

AGREE with Lighthouse on this one.

I detest forums and sites that look like "explosion from a circus factory" !!

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, I think we all agree on that point. But that is no reason not to advance. Check once on the forum where you have a user ID but never posted and you will see what I mean. But log in with your ID.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Yep, their POST BOX is pretty sophisticated but not sure all of that is needed.

Granted it would attract young folks and newbies but the reply answer is what's most important, not the way it's presented or formatted.

NO reason for stuff like this to put in postings.

Posted 2 years ago

minigeek
minigeek

I think that HTML code works fine, though I don't know about bolding.

EDIT: Turns out Bolding doesn't work, but some other stuff does.

There are guides to HTML over at W3Schools

But if the Mods say so, then you should only use this on Off Topic, so be careful!!

MiniGeek

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I don't see what all the fuss is about in reality a site such as the design of this at most only needs a few commands Underline, STRONG , and <h1>Heading</h1> and even that's pushing things. People will read each thing individually and clearly anyway so the fancy stuff is not all that applicable.

Posted 2 years ago

whs
whs

For someone like you who only makes an occsional post each day that may be right. But if you post 50 times each day on 6 different forums, creature featurtes do matter. Fortumately all other Forums I visit are up-to-date - to say it in a nice way.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I also agree with Lighthouse and raphoenix. Why I first came here was information, which I got. Why I stayed is because the site is easy to navigate and not cluttered wih uneeded frills. In short very easy to read. So if young folks and newbies need information they will most likly find it here. If they decide to stay or not is up to them. Me, like it how it is and staying as long as HTG lets me.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

warlock. You agree with me, and I'll ban ya :) Can't be having that :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!