How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

"Blocked by group policy"

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by georgelaljohn
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 26917 times

georgelaljohn
georgelaljohn

Why is it for certain options like creating the restore point .Then the manage option in My computer . IT shows" Blocked by group policy". I would like to know the reason for this?

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

The means a policy was set to prevent that action. They are for IT Administrators of Corporations/Schools/etc to control what users can do though some malware programs (viruses, spyware, etc.) set them to.

Posted 5 years ago

Sharif

I am using Vista Home on a Toshiba Satellite U305. When I try to use Windows Movie Maker, I get the message "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

Since I am the "System Administrator" (the only user of this computer), this advice isn't very helpful!! I need to use Movie Maker, so this is a serious problem.

I usually have Windows Defender and User Account Controls off. However, I've turned both on in an attempt to solve this problem, to no avail.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I checked the Group Policy Settings Reference and found out which registry keys control this block.
Key 1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMovieMaker
Key 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMovieMaker
Value: MovieMaker

Just open the registry editer and goto each of those keys and delete the above value if it exists.
I can create a registry file to do that if you don't want to use the registry editer.

Posted 5 years ago

deshotel

I also have a Toshiba Portege M600 with the exact same PROBLEM and neither of the registry keys you mentioned exist. SO now what do I do?? I also cannot delete OPERA for the same reason, i.e., somehow I am no longer the admin of my own machine over 1.5 years old.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@deshotel, you´d probably get an answer quicker if you started a new thread, thzis one´s pretty old!! ;)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

deshotel. Welcome to HTG, but, this thread is 10 months old. Please can you start your own in a "New Topic". Thankyou.
This one is now closed.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!