The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

blank screen only shows black screen

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Dave01
  • Latest reply from RoyM
  • Topic Viewed 631 times

Dave01

laptop shows black screen no icons what so ever turn on power button nothing happens does not show xp just a black screen would like to sort if possible as it would be handy for work ANY HELP PLEASE THANKS DAVE01

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

When you say nothing happens, does the power light come on? Are you plugged into power or using battery power? Try plugging in an external monitor.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

What make lappie is it? If it is a Dell I believe you can hit the blue Fn key and maybe another in tandem to choose your video output. The choices usually are to the VGA adapter or the laptop screen. Refer to your user manual for the exact key(s) you need to hit. I have had more than one client bring me in Dell laptops that were set to use the VGA port for video instead of the lappie screen. They must have mistakenly hit those keys. Good thing I am honest and didn't charge them something for nothing. This may be your problem. If it is not post back the make, model and specs of your machine. Does POST display at all? Try getting into BIOS and check your video settings in there. Be more descriptive otherwise people will be just shooting in the dark trying to help you. What were you doing on your machine prior to this problem emerging?

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

THANK YOU NO IT JUST WENT DARK NOT ITS RUNING ON EXTERNAL POWER TRIED PRESSING F8 KEY NOTHING HAPPENED AH not A GREAT LAPTOP ONLY WHANT IT FOR MY WORK ITS A FUJITSU SEMENS AMILO L 7300 Just taught i would have o go in geting it going put no luck yet Propley not worth the efford

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Battery dead? Try it plugged in.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

It could be that either the screen or the inverter has gone (more likely the inverter)

In low light, can you see a feint image on the screen when you boot? If so this points to the inverter failing

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

yes on full mains power still nothing happens still black screen thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

hello thanks for all the help tried booting up this stupit laptop to day not a hope keeps on saying file is corrupt so will replace inverter and sticks and see what happens screen did work with external pc but would not boot windows xp after that will try new cpu and dvd drive is not the best need a new one if i get this laptop working i would be over the moon would be good when i am in the field as i am a gas teck by trade and need all my hi tec manurals to hand and do not whant to mess up my acer laptop If i am wasteing my time can somebody tell me or am i heading in the right Direction Once again Thanks DAVE )1

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

dude slow down. Add punctuation to your sentences. The words are all running together. I think I deciphered that an external monitor worked but your OS (XP) will not boot. It is really hard to understand what has happened and what you are trying to do.

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

have still got black screen even when i replaced inverter.But can see bios on external screen still can not load recovery disc just says no system operating system found Replaced HDD but did not clone it off old one this could be half my proplem .Up graded Memory thats the only thing i see on bios if anybody can shed some light on this it would be a help Or am i just wasteing my time Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Unless you always plan to use External Video as you are doing now, just wasting time.

Since external video is working, the system will work however there is still something wrong with the display.

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

Yes you are right just old laptop just had a brain wave i would see if i culd have a go at geting it working Am i right in thinking if i cloned hdd and if it was corrupt would i just put this on the new hdd and be back to square one .All i know is it has my head wrecked any propley fit for bin once again Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Which Hard drive do you want to clone ??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Yes, you would be back to square one. With the exception that you would have a new hdd as corrupt as the old one. But, you would still know that your built in screen doesn't work.

Posted 1 year ago

sloshedzulu

Take the battery out. This happened me - 5 minutes ago :L

Posted 1 year ago

Dave01

sorry should have said it was the old hard drive that i wanted to clone to the new one but leave that for another day anyway no way of backing up any info with pc not working ah well i will solder on i will either kill it or cure it . thanks

Posted 1 year ago

RoyM

Dave01, it's not exactly clear what is happening when you power up your laptop. Is it totally dead? Does the boot process start and then you loose the video display or is it never there? Have you installed any new hardware or software recently?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.