The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Black screen on start up.

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hobart6080
  • Latest reply from hobart6080
  • Topic Viewed 391 times

hobart6080

My grandaughter's laptop (HP compaq 64 bit windows 7) shows a black screen on start up. The lights work, but the caps light stays on. She thinks that the computer may have overheated-she turned it off and let it cool down for a few hours before starting it up again. All she sees is a black screen. Can you please help?

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Hi hobart6080
Welcome to HTG...
First ask her try starting in SAFE mode, at starup gently tap usually F8 (but maybe F10 or another F Key)
She should get options to repair etc

Do tell her to be patient and let computer suss out the instruction, so many fail,when they push other keys too early.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

hobart6080, Welcome. Is the caps lock blinking in a series or hear beeps when you power on the laptop? Can you see activities in hdd light? Try connecting it to an external monitor to test it is not an lcd screen failure.

Posted 1 year ago

hobart6080

Thanks for your suggestions. after trying things I decided to remove the battery and tried using straight power. The computer started up and I used safe mode and then restarted. The windows update kicked in and finished off what it started before the problem occured. Granddaughter omitted to tell me that updates were in operation when the screen went black. I seem to remember the same thing happening to me when windows was updating last year. Once again, many thanks.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.