The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Black Screen

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Simonjo47
  • Latest reply from Simonjo47
  • Topic Viewed 634 times

Simonjo47

A friend gave me his HP laptop to repair. When I turns it on, the power lights come on but the screen stays black. I plug in an external monitor, still nothing. I recycled the laptop by unplugging it and removing the battery. Held the power button down for about ten seconds. I put the battery back inaptop came up just fine. I left it plugged in overnight and tried it again this morning. The light comes on and you can hear the drive kicking in. Now, it doing the same thing as before.

Any ideas what it could be?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

What happens if you take out the battery and run it direct off the mains ?

Posted 1 year ago

Simonjo47

I try that. Same results. Black screen.

Posted 1 year ago

oliverpowell
oliverpowell

Did you see anymore thing along side the black screen i.e., cursor, any error message or other. Ask you friend about any recent changes that he did with the laptop, like installed third party programs, made registry changes etc.

I'd recommend you run startup repair from either the installation media or by using system recovery options. If you're using Windows 7 or Vista, can directly access this by frequently pressing F8 just after starting the system to get the advanced boot options and choose option 'Repair Install'.

Run this steps at least 3-5 times to have more accurate log about the PC problems.

Post back with answers in your next reply.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

The graphics card is probably dead. It's caused by fatigue because of the heating/cooling cycles, causing small fissures in the connections between the graphics chip and the motherboard. Sometimes it seems to be OK again if the connection is restored for some reason (e.g. applied pressure or temperature change), but the problem goes worse with time. There is a "reflow" technique that could help you, but it is just a temporary fix. Best option is to call HP for a motherboard replacement if the PC is still under warranty, otherwise get a new PC and use this one for spares (i.e. extract the hard drive, RAM memory cards, CMOS battery, wi-fi cards...).

This can be caused by the user placing the computer over a pillow or other soft surfaces, blocking the air intakes and vents and causing overheating cycles. But it can also be a design flaw of the heat sink or the graphics chipset. For the record, I'd like to know the model of the PC and the graphics card. I already had this problem with an HP Pavilion dv9500 (i think that was the number) with AMD processor and an nVidia graphics card, and with a Dell Studio 15 with Intel processor and ATI graphics. I know the HP suffered a lot of overheating because of bad habits of the owner (watching movies with the PC on the bed).

Posted 1 year ago

Simonjo47

Problem still exist. I took the laptop to Geek Squad at BestBuy and they seem to think it may be the hard drive. I guess for now I have to go with that. The make and model is HP Pavilion dv7, S/N WA794UA#ABA . Let me know what you Guys think.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Something here maybe to try.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/N.....-p/1189501

Don't know how they could tell you it is the hard drive without removing it and testing.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If the disk drive was bad and not the video side of things then the BIOS splash screen would show up. Since you see nothing my money would be on the graphics hardware.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Very true xhi.

Posted 1 year ago

Simonjo47

OUTSTANDING. Thanks everyone. See Warlock's reply above.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@Simonjo47, Thanks for the reply back but, what on the link actually fixed your problem?

Posted 1 year ago

Simonjo47

Well, I guess I spoke prematurely. I was able to get to safe mode, but the owner of the laptop could not remember the windows logon password. I set the laptop to hibernate until I can get the correct P/W. Now, it’s back to the black screen as before. I follow the procedures as before but no luck. I will try a few more times and see if I can get back to safe mode. Then I have to get pass the P/W problem to get logged on. But, one problem at a time.

Since I was able to get to safe mode, do you Guys still think it may be the graphic card?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I still think it is the graphics card. You might be able to see the screen working again from time to time, as I said, but the problem will go worse from now on. I'm sorry for that, I know how frustrating it is because I've experienced that with two laptops.

Posted 1 year ago

Simonjo47

Well, after doing more research, it’s is the graphic card. For all of you who said it was the graphic card. Kudos to you Guys.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.