The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - BIOS update

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by xjelly
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1124 times

xjelly

I have an ASUS laptop and I want to update my BIOS. I had entered the right serial number on Search By Product Serial Number.
Link :
http://support.asus.com/downlo.....#38;type=1
My concern is can I install it and will there any risk to my laptop ???

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

No that's wrong.

A Bios should ALWAYS be updated to the latest revision.

A User doesn't know when something in the Bios code is incorrect because they can't read machine code.

All modern Bios have bootblock so can be recovered if something should go wrong during flashing.

Asus sometimes makes 10-15 Bios Updates to fix things during the life of a motherboard.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Before updating any BIOS you must read what changes have been made in the latest revision. Do they or will they effect my system? Am I having a problem that the latest revision might correct, if not then maybe you really don't need an update at this time.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

All Bios Updates effect the computer hardware system even if not readily detectable to the user.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

I have had many computers of my own. Currently have 7 in daily use but have had 30 or more over time. I have never had to, nor have I ever updated a BIOS. All my computers run perfectly well as the day they were built/bought. If I ever had a good reason for doing it I would not hesitate, I just have never seen a reason.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Xhi,

I believe you But your comment is the Strangest tale I've ever heard in all my years of computing for sure.

Some newly released Builder MBs will not even boot reliably until the first few Bios revisions are made.

This MB I'm using has had (8) Bios Revisions from first release and is only a year old.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboar...../#download

I won't argue your point but will not advocate your example either so the OP's will just have to decide for themselves.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

xjelly

If I choose the wrong update, how would it affect my laptop ???

Posted 2 years ago

Santo

Never try to install a wrong update, it will lead to the replacement of the Motherboard.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Choose the first option...let it select it automatically. Make sure it's plugged in, don't do it during MS Update time (check) and don't do anything on it while it's doing it. If you pick the wrong one or it fails...it's bricked. From an ASUS Moderator helping a poster with a failed update:

"What ASUS offers to fix a corrupt BIOS is the built-in function CrashFree BIOS 3, which I've since over six years never have seen reported as successful."

It's the same with drivers, if you aren't having any problems or aren't missing any function that a potential update might offer there isn't any realistic point.

Rick...you are an Expert and naturally want no less than the best that your machines can offer. Also you know what to do if the worst happens. It's the 'end of the world' for novices if their BIOS borks. I've done it before but it's a tense few minutes. ;)

xjelly

The RESPONSIBLE answer is: if it screws up it's DEAD with a nice repair bill to follow, so, if you don't need it don't do it.

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

xjelly

But I enter the right serial number, should it give the right update ???

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I tend to agree with raphoenix on this one, I don't see any issue in updating the BIOS once you are 100% certain that it's the correct version for your PC/Laptop
I have updated the BIOS on many PC's/Laptop's without any issue.

So xjelly "But I enter the right serial number, should it give the right update" simple answer is yes, once you are 100% sure it's the correct model referring to the serial number then you should be fine.

You could try the "Model Automatic Detection" from here http://support.asus.com/downlo.....#38;type=1

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Gedstar

A BIOS firmware update is the one update that can kill your computer. All we're doing is making sure is that he does it with his eyes open and it's his choice.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I agree that he needs to do this with his eyes open and agree that a BIOS firmware update is one that can kill your computer if not done correctly or the wrong BIOS update is installed.
It's the same with any firmware update, they all can do damage if not done correctly.
I remember installing my first BIOS update many years ago, it was pretty nerve reckon at first, but we all have to take the plunge at some stage, and installing the correct BIOS version shouldn't cause any problems. I've been installing BIOS updates for over 12 years now and have never once killed a PC/Laptop

Just my thoughts

Again it's up to the OP if he want's to go ahead with this, I'm in no way trying to persuade him either way, just given my 2 cents worth

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

That's all we can do mate. :)

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Well if a User post problems with a system and is behind updating a machine which has a couple of Bios Updates issued, then no use trying to help.

Better the User seek local assistance.

Most hardware has Firmware Upgrades issued during the Life of the Product to include DVD Roms, SSD, HDDs and of course MB Bioses.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

So you are saying that until an OP has brought his BIOS up to date we should never answer any of his problems?? Really?? Shirley, you jest.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

No, I'm saying the Hardware must be brought up-to-date before a software solution can be rendered.

It's just my opinion but I don't think many OPs ever go back often and check their Machine Vendor Sites for any kind of Updates.

This practice is called "Set and Neglect" which does create many self inflicted computer problems.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

I think we may have scared off the OP at this stage, all he wanted to know was "My concern is can I install it and will there any risk to my laptop ???"
The answer to that question is, No if the correct version is selected and the upgrade is done according to the manufacturers website/instructions!

As I said before updating the BIOS is not a major issue if done correctly, it's just like updating any hardware.
I update all my firmware as soon as updates come out. SSD's, Routers, Golf GPS and BIOS on PC and Laptop without any problems and haven't killed anything yet.

Ged

Posted 2 years ago

xjelly

TQ gedstar , but I had formated my laptop once. Will it give any effect ???

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.