The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Bios( UGH!!!)

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by falpizar
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1561 times

falpizar

Ok, for some retarded reason i had initially set up a start-up password on my laptop. Now, i didnt realize it was a Bios password. Is there a universal way to like remove it or change it or something. I havent been able to use my computer for several months. It's an Acer, and im thinking of just getting a new computer. I've spoken with a tech guy and he said he could try but there wouldnt be any guarantee... Just wondering if its possible to do anything about that BIOS password.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

You could try removing the battery from the motherboard ... this should remove the CMOS info including the BIOS PW.

Or you could try:
http://www.11a.nu/software/bio.....e-toolkit/

Posted 6 years ago

falpizar

And how would i remove the battery from the motherboard? When i start up the laptop, the first and only thing that pops up is a black screen with your standard green font asking for a pw. Im going to try out the advice you gave me tonight, so thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

VERY carefully! - better study your Hardware Specs first.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

With laptops there are a lot of small parts so you would have to be real careful if you did open it. Usually the manual would have instructions on how to do so.
On some computers there is a master password you can use that will always work for this purpose and that password would be in the manual too.
If you don't have the manual you can post the laptop model and someone here could try to find it online.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you buy it new?

Posted 6 years ago

falpizar

No, i didnt buy it new, nor do i have the manual. I dont know what series it the computer is, so as soon as i go home i'll post it up!

Posted 6 years ago

falpizar

Did i mention that the phoenix setup utility thingy is pw protected....

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Dont't get up upset. It's just that if you had bought it new, it would have been possible for the suppliers to reset the password for you

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.