The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - BIOS password reset

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gmdavis19724
  • Latest reply from gmdavis19724
  • Topic Viewed 469 times

gmdavis19724

I have purchased a Hewlett Packard p6767c brand new and when I attempted to enter setup I was prompted for a password that I did not setup. It has an AMD Phenom II X4 840T processor 2.9 GHz and the BIOS is AMI American Megatrends version 6.05. I have attempted to remove the CMOS battery for reset but did not work and I cannot seem to locate any further support information for a default/backdoor password. Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated.

Very respectfully,
Mark

Posted 1 year ago

Santo
Santo

@Mark: Welcome to HTG.

To reset the BIOS password you need to change the jumper settings on the motherboard. You will find the steps in "Clearing the BIOS Password" section.

Posted 1 year ago

gmdavis19724

@ Santo: Still no luck.

Thank you for the quick response. I followed the instructions as listed on the link that you sent me and it still didn't resolve the issue. restarted my PC, went into setup, and it still prompted me for a password. Only hit enter and it denied me access...

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Contact HP. Easy as that.

Posted 1 year ago

gmdavis19724

@ Santo:

Spent almost an hour on the phone with Tech support (at least I think that is who they said they were) only for them to tell me that I have done all I can do and I have to mail my PC in to get the BIOS completely erased and reinstalled.......Good times.....GRRRRRR!!! Can't win them all I guess. Thank you for the advice though. That was exactly what I was supposed to do to resolve the problem. I was told that it can only be a faulty hardware issue if that fix didn't work.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!