The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

'Big Fix' for e-machine

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cygpup
  • Latest reply from cygpup
  • Topic Viewed 2071 times

cygpup

I have a new Vista e-machine and I was wondering if the 'Big Fix' program they promote is any good? Is it worth the money? If it matters I use the PC a lot - but - only for caaual stuff(e-mail, games, web-searches). Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Posted 5 years ago

whiplash55

I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10Ft pole. How much do they want for it? I never heard of it, but I build my own desktops and therefore provide my own support. The fact that it runs in the background (slowing you down) and must report to a mothership occasionally bugs me.
All that said I'd google it extensively and check to see if you can find an opinion of someone who uses it as a consumer. I tend to uninstall any pre-installed programs the user doesn't explicitly want when optimizing a new machine for someone. That includes any of the OEM's programs they put on to "help" you.

Posted 5 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Honestly I have had my eMachines for a little over 4 years and never used Big Fix, I actually uninstalled it about a week ago. It may have changed since then, and the idea of a program that alerts you of new threats is a good idea, but I wouldn't pay for it. If it is already on the machine, you may like it, if you have to pay for it, I personally wouldn't.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I have Big Fix on a Gateway laptop. It bailed me out a few times. But I did not pay for it. It came with the system. In fact it is the only program I have left in the startups of that system (plus Kaspersky).

Posted 5 years ago

cygpup

Thank you all for your input - it has helped me decide.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.