Best way to spend $1000 on this machine

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by frazman
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 320 times

frazman

I have this machine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6883220058

if i give you $1000 to upgrade this machine.. what all you will upgrade?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Personally, I would say none of it, I would save the money and add to it so that when this one died I could buy a decent replacement.

If, however, the money is burning a hole in your pocket then a 256Gb SSD would be my first upgrade - speeds up everything, then, if you are into gaming, a better graphics card. After that I'd still save the money for the future replacement.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

This is a nice system. I also would only put an SSD in - only for the OS, The user files go on the spinner. A 60GB SSD will suffice, 120GB max. Check on Newegg ==> they all run under $100 on sale which they have all the time.

Here is how to transit the OS to the SSD: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ystem.html

The remaining $900 you can save for a new system in a few years from now.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs, he may need more than 60GB SSD if he installing progs/games that only install to the system drive.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Agree for games. But he can direct those to the HDD. Even change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and modify the strings called ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir x86.

I have 60GB SSDs in all my 3 desktops and over 30GB of frespace. On the laptops I use bigger SSDs. Mine are a few years old when they still were expensive, but today you can buy a Crucial M4 120GB for under $100. This one was on sale yesterday for $78,74 (with promo code) http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....20-148-442

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry whs, but I disagree. And even the registry re-direct won't always work. I know, I have tested it.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

I disagree as well. Having just the OS on an SSD is fine if you just want a quick boot time, but if you want to speed up all of the software you use then you want it all accessible from the SSD. I currently have a 250Gb Crucial M4 (about £130) and it uses about 90Gb, without my Documents folder (which wouldn't fit on it anyway), and the only delays I get are when the documents folder is being accessed/refreshed. Using Photoshop run from the second drive would remove any advantage of the SSD.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I guess everybody has different requirements. On this system, I have 3717 files in Program Files and 19661 files in Program files x86 and there is still over 30GB of freespace on the 60GB SSDs

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

My Vista installation is less than that.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Possibly add a Blu-Ray Burner, if you would ever need it, but I agree with an SSD.

The Graphics are good anyway.

What OS is it - the product spec says Home Premium, so consider windows 7 Ultimate.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Save up money, Build New Machine and use the old computer as a NAS.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!