The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Best way to run CHKDSK in Windows 8?

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by very452001
  • Latest reply from very452001
  • Topic Viewed 31731 times

very452001

What are the different ways to run chkdsk like for example running it at boot up, running from command prompt, running from windows 8 trouble shooting settings etc?

What is the best option/parameter to use with chkdsk in windows 8?

I did a system restore and it failed but system restore advised me to run chkdsk then do the system restore again so i like to know which is the best parameters to use with chkdsk in windows 8?

Whats different in windows 8 version of chkdsk compared to windows 7?

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

It is better to run chkdsk with computer booting instead from being in Windows itself. Like this , you can be sure that there are no system locked files being in use.
chkdsk had many parameters , see this :
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....30714.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If it is the disk with the OS, then your only option is to run it at boot time.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

"Whats different in windows 8 version of chkdsk compared to windows 7?"

Not a great deal I don't think, however it is supposed to be a faster scan and a better repair system, something to do with the way the NTFS is set up.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I think the best way is the way Windows thinks is best.

On W8, on my desktop I've placed COMPUTER icon. When I open it, I see all the drives and devices. What I'll do is open the properties for each drive occasionally, and under Tools is CHECK. Windows will determine IF it can be done now or must be done during the boot process (C: always is due to open system files).

One thing I always do is if I should suffer a BSOD or complete loss of power (have a UPS so this would rarely happen), I run CHKDSK on all drives as well.

Can be done using the COMMAND line as well, and if the disk is 'busy', you can elect to have it run during the boot process as well.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

i did the chkdsk at bootup but the problem is that it gets stuck at 27% for hours?

why is that?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Could be problem with the hard drive, is there any hard drive diagnostic utilities in the BIOS, if so try running that.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Ran a chkdsk /r on two different (not the same brand, not the same specs) test laptop yesterday and both were stuck at 27%.
I did a few search here and there to find that many people are experiencing that and that it's 'normal' and the 'solution' was to simply wait, sometimes as long as 2-3-4 hours.
So I did wait and one of them finished after 1h15 and the other took about 2.5 hours.

Both of them nearly new, no hardware issue.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

yeah my laptop is a month old so basically its new so i doubt there are problems with the hard drive.

How do i avoid the 27% problem? I thought chkdsk is faster on windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Maybe,
http://lifehacker.com/5409477/.....ve-sectors

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

At boot time is better. Chkdsk /r will look for and attempt to relocate bad sectors. Chkdsk will take longer with larger capacity hard drives.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

But at boot time it gets stuck at 27% for ages. My hard drive is 750gb. How long should it take on that?

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

Whats the best alternative 3rd party utility/software that is better than doing chkdsk /R than the windows one?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have already posted one for you. Do you want more ?

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

yes that windows surface scanner tool you linked to only diagnoses and doesnt do repairs as stated in the description.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

There is no such thing as repairs with Hard Drives. There is only recovery of information from corrupt blocks and reallocation to blocks that are set aside just for that. Every hard drive has spare blocks for reassignment however they are limited. These tools are all the same in that they just remap those bad blocks to use the spares. You can try tools from the drives manufacturer (Seagate/Maxtor, Western Digital, Hitachi/Toshiba). If you need something for Recovery I'd say SpinRite. May not be the fastest, but it has different levels of checks. The reason it can take an extremely long time (like the entire weekend) is because it will attempt to get the information from bad areas many many times. I'd suggest going through the FAQ section if you consider.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

I dont mean physical hardware repairs. I mean software repairs like recovery of readable blocks etc.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The free version of this, will scan and repair,
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Edit. You may need version 4,
http://partition-wizard.en.softonic.com/

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

Can that software do the equivalent of chkdsk /r so i can get system restore up and running?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I have version 4, and that certainly can, when you click on the option, it will popup a box. Enable both selections in it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!