SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Best way to remote access Vista Home Prem?

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2836 times

ScottW
ScottW

I'm going on vacation over the 4th to visit family in Arizona. I would like to have remote access to my Vista Home Premium system. I was looking at TightVNC, but it says there are problems with Vista for all VNC derived apps. I'm guessing that means CrossLoop, too, since it seems to be a front-end to TightVNC. Does anyone have a working solution that doesn't require a subscription as GoToMyPC does?

I really wish I could use Remote Desktop on Vista HP. RDP is a good system -- I've used it and like it.

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

Hi, You could try www.logmein.com which i find works fine with Vista with their free account you can access any computer which you have download a small piece of software via a browser window however if you need to transfer files then you will need their pro account which does cost But you can get a 30 day trial of the pro account which should be long enough for your vacation...

Not to sure if i explained that very well.. since it's my bed time ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

k9
k9

You can try TeamViewer - http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

CrossLoop isn't meant for remote access to your own machine, since it requires somebody on the other end. It's really meant for remote help.

The problem with VNC solutions is that they break when the UAC prompt happens. If you've disabled UAC this isn't an issue, but there's obviously security issues of leaving a VNC server running, so make sure to use a strong password.

Also, it's a vacation, you should relax!

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback. I ended up getting a 45-day trial sub to GoToMyPC, which works fine on Vista and was very easy to install and set up. But there is no way I would pay $20 a month for continued use of a product that is static by nature. The yearly fee would pay for an upgrade to Vista Ultimate with RDP built in and there are plenty of free VPN solutions. Of course, I'm assuming that these VPNs will work with Vista which is also what I thought about TightVNC. Usually, a subscription gets you new content or use of a resource (broadband, storage). I don't see why anyone would regularly pay for GoToMyPC.

I looked at LogMeIn -- the company that bought Hamachi -- and that looks good. At least they offer free versions which do all that I need. I'll also try TeamViewer and anything else I find or is recommended to me. I would like to have a hardware solution someday, perhaps when I upgrade to 802.11n final (will it ever be final?).

As for vacation, we'll be having fun but this is a Geek Holiday! Dad is a geek like me and we always have several hardware and software projects that we work on together. I'm thinking we can fill the dead times by checking in on the forum. Also, my non-geek family always appreciates help with their computers and occasionally throw me a stumper. So, I may need to call over here for help. Or, I may be a ghost but at least my options are open.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.