SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Best way to clean aluminum heatsink?

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by batmann
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 911 times

batmann

i have a big aftermarket heatsink and im wondering what the best way to clean it is
an airduster doesnt seem to help much, the dusk is clinging to it :(

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Tooth brush (old one preferred). Wash it. More powerful air blower. I use this Electric Computer Duster, myself.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Brushing can create static so, though it will be a PITA, it may be necessary to remove the heatsink, then brush, wash, whatever it takes to get it clean. One possible reason the dust is sticking so tenaciously is it may be a bit corrosive and is etching into the metal (aluminum is especially susceptible to this). Once clean, more frequent dusting with compressed air or “canned air” may be able to prevent this. Another possible reason for the dust sticking like glue is tobacco smoke residue may be gluing it down. The only cure for that is to not smoke in the same room as the computer (even that may not help if smoke is circulated through the house by the heat and or air conditioning system).

Once I use up the last of my “canned air”, I'm going to get the same blower Xhi has.

Posted 1 year ago

batmann

thanks, i dont smoke but im gonna remove it and try and get it cleaned. otherwise ill probly just buy the blower

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If it is really that bad, try putting it a pan of boiling water for 5 or so minutes, then dry it off quickly as soon as you take it out.

Posted 1 year ago

batmann

would that cause the aluminum to corrode or oxidize?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Heat sinks and fans are cheap. If you can't clean it easily, buy a new one!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No. But if it has already started to oxidise, Then I would do that, and then spray it with black satin HT teflon paint.
You could give it a clean inbetween those 2, with nitric acid as well.
I used to use helicopter fuel, but then I had a free source.

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

"Toon Brite" is an aerosol product used to clean the aluminum pontoons on a pontoon boat. Works great to clean and brighten all sorts of aluminum (I have a pontoon boat). You can also use the spray foam air conditioner coil cleaner sold at Home Depot, Lowes, and just about any other home store or hardware store.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I'm skeptical about painting a heat sink. I would think the paint would impede heat transfer between the fins and the air.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I think it would too. It does on auto radiators. Might be very little though.

http://hardforum.com/archive/i.....37202.html

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!